The year 2015 was quite eventful for the judiciary, particularly placing the spotlight on gender-based violence and crimes of passion, for example:
- Acid burn survivor Ines Antonio's former lover Jan Pieterse was sentenced to 10 years in prison for assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
- The ruling that found Sindisiwe Manqele guilty of the murder of rapper Nkululeko ‘Flabba’ Habedi.
Casting an eye ahead to 2016, these will be the court cases to watch:
1. The murder case against Christopher Panayiotou and two of co-accused, charged with abducting and killing Jayde Panayiotou, has been postponed until the 11 January 2016 for further investigation.
2. Thandi Maqubela's leave to appeal the conviction which found her guilty in 2013 of killing her husband will be heard in the Supreme Court of Appeal.
3. The re-sentencing of convicted killer Oscar Pistorius has been postponed to April 2016, pending leave to appeal the revised judgment at the Constitutional Court.
4. The case of the woman accused of kidnapping Zephany Nurse will resume on 22 February 2016.
5. On the international scene, a great deal of interest will be place on the criminal charges facing comedian Bill Cosby after multiple accusations of sexual assault emerged in 2015.