Patricia Naicker recently lost her lost her 4 year old German shepherd. It was later confirmed after an autopsy was done on Leo (the doggy) that it was in fact the Cycad plant that poisoned the dog.
We had no idea that this plant was toxic at all, we were even looking at putting more of those plants in our garden.— Patricia Naicker, owner
CapeTalk/702’s John Maytham also spoke to Dr Alan Carter, Specialist physician at Fourways Veterinary Hospital who says that Cycad toxicity is on the increase.
We have known about the Cycad toxicity for many years and we see dogs regularly that come in with Cycad toxicity— Dr Alan Carter, Specialist physician
Listen to the full conversation below: