Unless the current inequality trends are evaluated, Oxfam - an organisation which aims to find solutions to poverty - says the combined wealth of the world’s richest 1% will overtake that of the other 99% of people in the next year.
According to Oxfam’s research, the richest 62 individuals in the world have the same wealth as 3.6 billion people in the world.
CapeTalk’s John Maytham on Monday spoke to Ronald Wesso, the research and policy leader at Oxfam Southern Africa.
Listen to the full conversation on The John Maytham Show:
In the economic times we live in there’s incredible fluctuation in the wealth of the richest people— Ronald Wessel, Research and Policy Leader at Oxfam Southern Africa
The inequality is so bad that Warren Buffett and Johann Rupert can lose billions and they still live on the wealth that is unimaginable to most of us— Ronald Wessel, Research and Policy Leader at Oxfam Southern Africa
It depends on whether as ordinary citizen we can make our voices heard so that we can influence the elite— Ronald Wessel, Research and Policy Leader at Oxfam Southern Africa