South African National Parks (SANParks) on Tuesday announced that Sylvester the lion has escaped from the Karoo National Park again, after he spent three weeks on the loose last year.
SANParks also announced on Twitter that the lion will be put down as soon as he is captured, a decision which was criticized by the Drakenstein Lion Park.
CapeTalk’s Pippa Hudson spoke to Paul Hart, owner of the Drakenstein Lion Park to hear why he is opposing the decision taken by SANParks.
Listen to the full conversation below:
According to Wanda Mkutshulwa, Managing Executive: Corporate Services at (SANParks), the tweet which went out yesterday announcing that Sylvester will be put down was an unfortunate premature statement.
She says that it was not a confirmed decision but part of a discussion they had on the various options available to deal with the problem.
Euthanization would be the last option— Wanda Mkutshulwa, Managing Executive: Corporate Services at (SANParks)
Paul Hart on the other hand says he is concerned of how quickly Sylvester the lion was labelled as a problematic animal and a threat to humans. He says that there is no evidence to suggest that the lion is a threat to people.
The Lion isn’t the problem; the problem is actually park management— Paul Hart, owner of the Drakenstein Lion Park