City of Cape Town's safety plans for at-risk schools

It’s back to school tomorrow (21 January) for the majority of schools in the Western Cape, and the City of Cape Town will be implementing a new strategy to keep schools safe.

A pilot project was launched at six schools two years ago, and according JP Smith, the City of Cape Town’s Mayco member for Safety and Security, the concept worked but was unaffordable and they were unable to expand the programme using that model.

After funding was provided by Community Safety MEC Dan Plato, 30 candidates were placed on a training programme and will be provided with equipment for the new programme, at a cost of R30 000 per member. they will each be deployed to an assigned school. One of the tasks will be to identify individuals who they consider to be "high-risk" and to montor them. The City of Cape Town's Law Enformentment division will provide support and back-up.

Listen to Kieno Kammies' interview here with JP Smith


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Can you help victims of fire at a WC school for the deaf?

Can you help victims of fire at a WC school for the deaf?

A number of learners lost all of their possessions following the fire at De LaBat school on Monday.

R2.5bn 'fake' wetland could save WC farms

R2.5bn 'fake' wetland could save WC farms

Contaminated water from the Berg River poses a threat to local farms who uses the river water for irrigation.

Equal Education banned from WC schools following sex abuse claims

Equal Education banned from WC schools following sex abuse claims

Last week several sex abuse allegations emerged concerning three members of the organisation

'Business as usual' following Willemse walk-out says SuperSport

'Business as usual' following Willemse walk-out says SuperSport

More details have emerged about the meeting between Ashwin Willemse and two of his colleagues at SuperSport HQ following walk-out.

Face of a killer: Van Breda 'expressionless' throughout guilty judgment

Face of a killer: Van Breda 'expressionless' throughout guilty judgment

23 year-old Henri Van Breda was, on Monday, found guilty of three counts of murder and one of attempted murder.

Last chance for local start ups to join 'boot camp' accelerator program

Last chance for local start ups to join 'boot camp' accelerator program

Applications for Start Up Bootcamp Africa close on 24th May, so apply now!

Popular articles
We're not just cyclists - CT man turns punch-up with driver into safety message

We're not just cyclists - CT man turns punch-up with driver into safety message

He was punched in the face by a motorist last week and tracked the driver down for a meet-up, instead of laying charges.

[WATCH] The spectacular moment AB de Villiers bent the laws of physics

[WATCH] The spectacular moment AB de Villiers bent the laws of physics

The world now knows never to underestimate the athletic form of SA cricketer AB de Villiers after this gravity-defying catch.

[LISTEN] Dailene, the lady behind the video from Thursday's heist in Boksburg

[LISTEN] Dailene, the lady behind the video from Thursday's heist in Boksburg

Another heist was carried out in Boksburg on Thursday morning and led to five people being arrested.

Health Minister proposes scrapping of medical aid co-payments

Health Minister proposes scrapping of medical aid co-payments

The eradication of medical aid co-payments is one of a number of changes to the medical aid scheme proposed by Aaron Motsoaledi.

SANDF soldier arrested for robbery on trial for attempted murder

SANDF soldier arrested for robbery on trial for attempted murder

Operations chief, General Barney Hlatshwayo's personal driver was arrested on Tuesday.

3 emergency numbers you should have on speed dial and how they work

3 emergency numbers you should have on speed dial and how they work

These are the emergency numbers you should have on your cellphone and this is what you must understand about how they work.