This week on Family Matters, Pippa Hudson brings you a round-up of events and activities to keep your children busy during the long school holidays.
She will be highlighting a few outdoor activities, a few indoor options, and some big events aimed at the youth market.
PART 1 - GET OUTDOORS AND ACTIVE
V&A WATERFRONT SPECIAL WINTER PROGRAMME FOR KIDS
• Fifty metres of fun – new temporary pumptrack for cycling on bike or scooter
• Open from 10.30am to 3.30pm daily,
• Helmets, bikes and scooters will be provided free of charge.
• From Sat 25 June – 17 July
• Adults welcome too
2. Rugbytots programme
• Get your future Springboks onto the field in a gently encouraging environment
• Encouraging rugby specific skills such as running with the ball, finding space, kicking, catching, scoring a try, and much more.
• 2 holiday clubs – one the week of 4-8 July, the other the week of 11-15 July
• Each club has 3 classes per day, organized by age group
• Ages 2-3, 3-5, 5-7
• On the croquet lawn
• R300 for one week of sessions, or R550 for two weeks
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 408 7600.
Enjoy all the fun of soccer without the risk of injury – it’s Bubble Soccer at Bounce World in Montague Gardens
• Soccer game played in see-through bubbles, with only the feet sticking out the bottom
• 8 players per game – you must book as a group
• A game lasts 90 minutes
• R760 per group (R95 per child)
• Montague Arena, 15 Montague Dr, Montague Gardens
For more information, contact 021 552 3165 or www.montaguarena.co.za
Snow World will be open at GrandWest throughout the holidays
Play in the snow, enjoy the adrenalin rush of an ice slide, and interact with animatronic Stone
Age creatures – or sign up for a snowboarding lesson in the Ice Box.
- Snow World is open from 10am to 11pm daily, and tickets range in price from R50 to R140.
!KHWA TTU KIDS HOLIDAY PROGRAMME
Let your kids immerse themselves in San culture at the !Khwa ttu San Culture and Education Centre
• Daily fun-filled kids’ activities, suitable for ages 6-12
• Ride a mountbaike to a San village, make and shoot your own bow and arrow, follow animal tracks, play nature games
• R75 per child including a drink and snack
• Please bring your own bike
• Every day 11h00-12h30
• R27 West Coast Road
For more information, contact 022 492 2998 or email@example.com
While you’re out West Coast way, why not check out the fascinating West Coast Fossil Park as well?
See the fossils of bears, sabre-tooth cats, short-necked giraffes and the many other exotic animals which inhabited the west coast area some 5 million years ago.
R45, Langebaan Road
For more information, contact 022 766 1606 or firstname.lastname@example.org
KIRSTENBOSCH WINTER HOLIDAY PROGRAMME
Winter Wonders programme: different events each day throughout the holidays
• Family treasure hunts
• Book readings with children’s books authors
• Kids activities at Moyo restaurant
• Almost all the events are free once you’ve paid your Kirstenbosch entrance fees
For more information, go to www.sanbi.org/events/kirstenbosch
Let your children get a little dirty while learning about our environment.
Enjoy a day filled with activities ranging from cleaning and preparing the soil to planting and even herding and milking cows.
Bring along picnic lunch, lots of snacks & water
- No food & drinks for sale
Date: 12 July 2016
Location: Camphill village, Klein Dassenberg Rd
R30 Per Person and free for children under 10years
Donations: Cat & Dog food, blankets,pillows.... more than welcome.
All donations received will be given to theoneloveprojectsa, an organization who provides medical assistance and food to underprivileged families who own cats & dogs.
PART 2 – INDOOR FUN
ZIZAMELE CERAMICS POTTERY WORKSHOPS
If the weather isn’t playing along, why not head indoors for some arts and crafts fun? Zizamele Ceramics will be offering pottery workshops from their studio at Imhoff Farm
• Handmade ceramics, ceramic painting and wheel throwing
• 11h00-12h30 or 15h00-16h30
• Suitable for ages 3-13
• R180 per lesson, including firing of one item
For more information, contact Toni Burton on 084 556 6423 or email email@example.com
The Good Hope Quilter’s Guild is running a week of craft activities at Wynberg Girls High School in their ballet hall and technology classroom
• Focus on handcraft and needlecraft
• 27 June – 1 July
• Morning session 09h30-12h30, afternoon sessions 13h30-16h30
• Suitable for ages 8-18
• All classes include a kit and snacks
• R150 per session
For more info contact Simmy Schofield 082 629 0357 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DRAGONLAND FAMILY INDOOR PLAY CENTRE IN SINNINGDALE, PARKLANDS
They offer all kinds of activities for all ages including Arts & Crafts, Jumping Castles, Swing Roundabout, Motor Bikes and Scooter Arena.
Reasonable entrance fee and lots of fun for the kids
A great place for parties.
Phone 021 554 008 or Cell: 073 0311 888
PICASSO ART CLASSES
Pickles and Picasso Art Studio in Pinelands is offering holiday art classes
• Ages 2-10
• 27 June to 15 July
• 09h30-10h30 and 11h00-12h00 daily
• Cost R100
For more info contact 082 874 0056 or visit www.picklesandpicasso.co.za
GAMES 4 BRAINS
Want to get your kids off the ipad and unplugged? Then join Games 4 Brains for their special holiday programme of board fame gun
• Several days between 4-15 July
• Teaching never-before-seen board games to kids
• Ages 6 up
• Tokai Community Church, Tokai Road, Tokai
• 10h00-12h00 or 14h00-16h00
• R120 per slot
For more info contact Natascha Brown on email@example.com or 083 556 0406
If your budding Masterchef would like some training, we have two recommendations:
- Kath Kenyon runs holiday cooking classes in Claremont, teaching kids to cook simple, nutritious food
Each session is 2 hours long, and groups are kept to a maximum of three.
Classes are suitable for children aged 4 and up, including children with disabilities
Lessons are R300 each or four for R1000.
- Sessions run from 28 June to 8 July, Tues to Friday from 9 to 11.
Contact Kath on 078 308 4755 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Our listener Nikki Green will be running cooking classes in Fishhoek
Several dates from 4-15 July
Ages 6 up
They are with her for about 3 hours
- Cost of R130 per child
Contact Nikki on 083 354 8548 or email@example.com
- Listener Jenny Howard will be running cooking classes for teens at Chez Gourmet in Claremont
5-12 July, a few spaces still available on different days
Each class runs from 2-4pm
- Price R350 per session
Contact Jenny on 021 671 2080
PART 3 – SHOWS
Final category highlights a few shows that are aimed at the whole family.
LILLIPUT CHILDREN’S THEATRE
Will be performing Goldilocks and the Three Bears at the Nassau theatre at Groote Schuur high School.
Show runs from 4-16 July
- Tickets cost R70 and can be booked via Computicket
DORA THE EXPLORER
Catch Dora the Explorer in action at Grand West with her friends Boots and Diego.
The musical stage show Dora’s Pirate Adventure comes to the grand arena from 15-17 July, and will appeal to any young fan of the Nickelodeon TV show.
Tickets cost R185-R325 via computicket – no charge for under 1’s, and group discounts are available.
If you’re in the mood for stealing from the rich to give to the poor, head to Canal Walk for their heart-warming musical production of Robin Hood.
Shows runs until 16 July – three shows daily at 11h00, 12h30 and 14h00
• Much more than just a kids’ show?
• Features a 5m talking tree
• Tickets R75 – computicket
• Portion of ticket sales will be donated to LEAP Science and Maths schools
Listen to the full conversation below: