On Friday, journalists and members of the public are set to picket outside the SABC offices in Auckland Park in Johannesburg and in Sea Point, Cape Town.
This is to challenge a decision taken by SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng last month to no longer broadcast images of violence and destruction to property during protests.
Last week, three SABC journalists were suspended for questioning an SABC mismanagement decision banning coverage of the Right2Know campaign’s protest planned outside the public broadcaster's offices in Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Acting Group CEO of the SABC, Jimmi Matthews, also resigned this week and described the atmosphere at SABC as “corrosive”.
Pippa Hudson speaks to South African National Editors Forum Chairperson, Mpumelelo Mkhabela who says they fully support the protest.
We think this is a very important protest. South Africans have a constitutional right to express themselves about what is happening at the SABC, which we as Sanef have also condemned.— Mpumelelo Mkhabela, Sanef Chairperson
We believe the SABC is sliding towards being a fully fledged state broadcaster, away from the legislative mandate of it being a public broadcaster— Mpumelelo Mkhabela, Sanef Chairperson
Mkhabela says that Sanef has encouraged ordinary citizens to join in this protest. Various civil society groups are expected to be part of the protest, says Mkhabela.
South Africans need to understand that this is not a media issue. It's a South African public interest matter. All ordinary South Africans should be concerned about what is happening at the SABC— Mpumelelo Mkhabela, Sanef Chairperson
Mkhabela says Sanef , along with other interested parties, are currently working on a submission to be submitted to the SABC, condemning the suspensions of journalists and resignation of Jimmi Matthews.
Listen to the full conversation below: