On Monday morning, ANC supporters in Philippi closed Govan Mbeki Road in what is believed to be a protest against ANC election candidate lists.
The provincial executive committee (PEC) promised to engage with residents to address their grievances during an introduction of cluster wards.
This comes after last week's violent protests on the N2, where the road was barricaded and two Golden Arrow buses torched by a group of residents from Barcelona in Gugulethu.
Western Cape's ANC spokesperson, Yonela Diko says that out of the 389 wards that they are contesting, only five are dissatisfied with the party's candidate lists.
Diko condemns the violence, but says that it is the responsibility of the City of Cape Town to diffuse criminal elements that surface during protest action.
It's time for the City to govern... We aren't co-governing. The people trusted the DA.— Yonela Diko, Western Cape ANC spokesperson
He says the ANC cannot be a "scapegoat" for poor DA governance, adding that the City must govern the same in the townships as they do in the suburbs.
Listen to the full conversation: