The V&A Waterfront has been trading in Cape Town for 26 years, and CEO David Green says that there's more to it than meets the eye.
I think people see it as a shopping centre but it's much, much more than that.— David Green, CEO of the V&A Waterfront
1. There are 210 staff members in the V&A head office and nearly 1 000 employees working on the site.
2. The V&A stretches from the conference centre to the water club, spanning 123 hectares (equivalent to 300 acres of land or 80 rugby fields).
3. There are at least 100 000 people visiting on a daily basis during peak season.
4. Management has moved to create a mixed retail space by creating a balance between high end retailers and affordable stores. The recent introduction of H&M, the largest retailer in the world, has helped cross this divide.
5. The V&A's Watershed creates a space to showcase our local craft and design, hosting 220 traders who sell 365 of the country's finest brands.
During an outdoor broadcast at the Granger Bay Boardroom, Green tells presenter Kieno Kammies more about the iconic destination that is a draw card to the Mother City.
Listen to the full conversation from CapeTalk's Breakfast with Kieno Kammies:
WATCH: CapeTalkInTheBoardroom - The V&A Waterfront