Today's Big Stories

SABC stalls for time in journos Labour Court case

The case involving four dismissed SABC journalists has been postponed in the Johannesburg Labour Court due to outstanding documentation from the broadcaster’s legal representatives.

Krivani Pillay, Foeta Krige, Suna Venter and Jacques Steenkamp were due to have their matter heard in court today, after they were fired for voicing their concern about SABC’s broadcast ban on violent protests.

However, the SABC's lawyers claim that they didn’t have enough time to finalise their documents and answering affidavit, having not consulted with SABC management.

The judge has agreed to grant the SABC a postponement until Friday at 12:30pm.

The four axed journalists believe that the SABC's recent High Court settlement to reverse the editorial policy warrants their reinstatement, reports EWN's Dineo Bendile.

The SABC will have to temporarily lift the broadcast ban, pending the outcome of a review application to test the lawfulness of the controversial policy.

Meanwhile, SABC legal representative Titus Mchunu says that the broadcaster decided to abide by the ruling from communications regulator Icasa, after an official order was given directly to the SABC.

Mchunu explains that the initial judgement last week was a recommendation from Icasa's Complaints and Compliance Committee and did not constitute an order.

He says Icasa's council only responded to the recommendation by releasing a formal order on Monday.

Listen to the full conversation from the Midday Report with Stephen Grootes:

CapeTalk welcomes all comments that are constructive, contribute to discussions in a meaningful manner and take stories forward.

However, we will NOT condone the following:

  • Racism (including offensive comments based on ethnicity and nationality)
  • Sexism
  • Homophobia
  • Religious intolerance
  • Cyber bullying
  • Hate speech
  • Derogatory language
  • Comments inciting violence.

We ask that your comments remain relevant to the articles they appear on and do not include general banter or conversation as this dilutes the effectiveness of the comments section.

We strive to make the CapeTalk community a safe and welcoming space for all.

CapeTalk reserves the right to: 1) remove any comments that do not follow the above guidelines; and, 2) ban users who repeatedly infringe the rules.

Should you find any comments upsetting or offensive you can also flag them and we will assess it against our guidelines.

CapeTalk is constantly reviewing its comments policy in order to create an environment conducive to constructive conversations.

Read More
Veterans and ANC not on same page about terms of consultative conference

Veterans and ANC not on same page about terms of consultative conference

ANC vets want civil society groups present at the consultative conference, which they want held separately from another meeting.

Top SABC journos applauded for brave testimony

Top SABC journos applauded for brave testimony

EWN's Gaye Davis summarises the evidence of the SABC journalists who appeared before the ad hoc committee in Parliament.

If you're gona be a hero (and smash a car window), make sure you can prove harm

If you're gona be a hero (and smash a car window), make sure you can prove harm

A criminal lawyer explains what leg citizens can stand on if they witness a child or pet locked in a vehicle in risky conditions.

SABC 'in contempt of court' if Motsoeneng reports for duty, says DA

SABC 'in contempt of court' if Motsoeneng reports for duty, says DA

The DA's James Selfe says it is not clear whether SABC's Hlaudi Motsoeneng will be either fired or suspended pending an inquiry.

Court approves temporary interdict on SABC's controversial broadcast ban

Court approves temporary interdict on SABC's controversial broadcast ban

SABC court settlement with the Helen Suzman Foundation, on the interdict not to implement the ban on violent protest footage.

SABC fires seven out of eight suspended journos

SABC fires seven out of eight suspended journos

Media Monitoring Africa says the SABC must withdraw the controversial broadcast ban which the #SABC8 journalists had challenged.

Popular articles
The rand is on a rampage

The rand is on a rampage

The rand is going from strength to strength. The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews Treasury One’s Andre Cilliers.

[CARTOON] Poephol With a Taste For Strife

[CARTOON] Poephol With a Taste For Strife

EWN's Dr Jack & Curtis take a look at the Spur confrontation that has taken the country by a storm.

No escaping the tax man even if you work outside SA

No escaping the tax man even if you work outside SA

Government is intending to change the way foreign income is taxed by introducing taxes to a large South African diaspora.

Opinion: Social housing in Sea Point won't collapse your world! - John Maytham

Opinion: Social housing in Sea Point won't collapse your world! - John Maytham

Social housing in Sea Point will house the very people who you are happy to have look after your kids & serve you in restaurants.

Sale of Tafelberg gets green-light from Cape Town City

Sale of Tafelberg gets green-light from Cape Town City

Despite months of protests and lobbying, affordable housing and redevelopment finally lose the battle for Tafelberg site.

Opinion: Laying equal blame on parents in Spur spat is wrong says Eusebius

Opinion: Laying equal blame on parents in Spur spat is wrong says Eusebius

He believes it's a moral cop-out to say the only thing going on in the video is two adults behaving badly in front of the kids.

Is Uber dying? Stuff’s editor explains…

Is Uber dying? Stuff’s editor explains…

High ranking employees are resigning en masse as crisis upon crisis pummel lossmaking Uber.

Spur tightens its belt as 'two for the price of one' Monday burger special ends

Spur tightens its belt as 'two for the price of one' Monday burger special ends

The CEO of Spur says food inflation has played a big role in making this difficult decision.