Today's Big Stories

Only one female CEO out of SA's top 40 listed companies - survey

Among South Africa's top 40 companies listed on the JSE, there is just one led by a female CEO, according to a study by executive recruitment firm Jack Hammer.

Jack Hammer CEO Debbie Goodman-Bhyat says that gender disparities persist at executive levels across different industries.

Goodman explains that this is in line with the global trend.

However, she says that corporates do make an effort to seek out black female executives, but are confronted with a skills-shortage and inequality at senior levels.

At least 70% of the available pool of executive candidates are men, leaving less than 30% of females eligible for the same positions.

While the opportunities are there, the candidate pool is very disproportionate.

Debbie Goodman-Bhyat, CEO of Jack Hammer

Debbie Goodman-Bhyat says companies are beginning to challenge their unconscious bias towards gender issues and unpack the complexities of workplace transformation.

Listen to the full conversation from The Midday Report with Stephen Grootes:


This article first appeared on 702 : Only one female CEO out of SA's top 40 listed companies - survey


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Veterans and ANC not on same page about terms of consultative conference

Veterans and ANC not on same page about terms of consultative conference

ANC vets want civil society groups present at the consultative conference, which they want held separately from another meeting.

Top SABC journos applauded for brave testimony

Top SABC journos applauded for brave testimony

EWN's Gaye Davis summarises the evidence of the SABC journalists who appeared before the ad hoc committee in Parliament.

If you're gona be a hero (and smash a car window), make sure you can prove harm

If you're gona be a hero (and smash a car window), make sure you can prove harm

A criminal lawyer explains what leg citizens can stand on if they witness a child or pet locked in a vehicle in risky conditions.

SABC 'in contempt of court' if Motsoeneng reports for duty, says DA

SABC 'in contempt of court' if Motsoeneng reports for duty, says DA

The DA's James Selfe says it is not clear whether SABC's Hlaudi Motsoeneng will be either fired or suspended pending an inquiry.

Tweeps throw shade as court shows Motsoeneng the door

Tweeps throw shade as court shows Motsoeneng the door

A judge has ruled that Hlaudi Motsoeneng should not hold any position at the SABC and Twitter has wasted no time reacting.

Why family traditions matter

Why family traditions matter

Whether it's breaking bread or celebrating through song and dance, family rituals and traditions can create a sense of belonging.

Popular articles
 When they told me I had cancer, I knew I was going to die - Dr. Lillian Dube

When they told me I had cancer, I knew I was going to die - Dr. Lillian Dube

In the profile interview, actress Dr. Lillian Dube chats about her battle with cancer, and gets personal about her faith and relationship with God.

Here are the best toys to close the orgasm gap and take your sex life up a notch

Here are the best toys to close the orgasm gap and take your sex life up a notch

Dr Eve says that sex toys help close the frustrating orgasm gap and can increase intimacy and connection, alone or with a partner.

Here's how to check your load shedding schedule in Cape Town

Here's how to check your load shedding schedule in Cape Town

Eskom has warned that more power cuts can be expected as maintenance continues over the next twelve months.

Check out BlitzBokke #Madiba100 jersey for Cape Town 7s

Check out BlitzBokke #Madiba100 jersey for Cape Town 7s

Saru has partnered with Asics to create a special Blitzbokke jersey to celebrate Nelson Mandela’s 100th birthday.

[WATCH] Ellen Pakkies shares her own story as local film adaptation hits screens

[WATCH] Ellen Pakkies shares her own story as local film adaptation hits screens

Eleven years after murdering her drug addict son, the film about Ellen Pakkies' story is being shown at cinemas across SA.