10 tips for students experiencing anxiety or trauma
Young people from universities nationwide are in a delicate state amid the uprising and often violent clashes on campuses.
Some students have opened up, sharing their difficult experiences with anxiety and panic attacks.
Psychologist Dr Helgo Schomer says that students may be struggling with trauma from witnessing or partaking in tense altercations with police, private security or university management.
He says that the ongoing duress takes it's toll on a student's mental state and limits the brain's capacity to process.
Schomer encourages constructive "fight" and peaceful protests at a time of reported volatility at universities.
He offers the following advice to students who may be suffering from trauma, anxiety and psychological brutality:
- Do not isolate yourself from those around you
- Ask friends to support you and share with them your experiences through a "buddy system".
- Avoid over exposure to duress
- Try maintain healthy diet and exercise
- Find counselling services, whether on campus or elsewhere
- Strike a balance of outlets to express yourself (write, draw, talk, walk)
- Practice breathing techniques that will counteract anxiety
- Avoid the triggers that lead to traumatic stress
- Replace the triggers with other images and activities
- Leave the region of conflict (campus) and go out to peaceful, relaxing areas
Listen to Dr Schomer share his expert advice here:
This article first appeared on 702 : 10 tips for students experiencing anxiety or trauma
ANC vets want civil society groups present at the consultative conference, which they want held separately from another meeting.Read More
EWN's Gaye Davis summarises the evidence of the SABC journalists who appeared before the ad hoc committee in Parliament.Read More
A criminal lawyer explains what leg citizens can stand on if they witness a child or pet locked in a vehicle in risky conditions.Read More
The DA's James Selfe says it is not clear whether SABC's Hlaudi Motsoeneng will be either fired or suspended pending an inquiry.Read More
A judge has ruled that Hlaudi Motsoeneng should not hold any position at the SABC and Twitter has wasted no time reacting.Read More
Whether it's breaking bread or celebrating through song and dance, family rituals and traditions can create a sense of belonging.Read More
Speciality ice cream brand Baskin-Robbins is filling bellies and the demand for artisanal ice cream in Mzantsi. We get the scoop.Read More
Minister Jeff Radebe says that Cabinet has noted all the concerns raised by international rating agencies.Read More
All the money spent on the two-week-long campaign could be put to better use, into on-going programmes and social interventions.Read More
A stretch of road that should take drivers 3 minutes can turn into a half hour crawl because of motorists who block intersections.Read More