Firefighter Frank Forbay, who was injured when a gas cylinder exploded in the fire at the Tintswalo Lodge on the backdrop of the raging Cape fires last week, has been gifted with pro bono laser treatment for his injuries. He sustained slight burns to his face and his hands were totally stripped of skin.
Speaking to CapeTalk's Kieno Kammies, Forbay described the scene:
As I turned around there was an explosion inside the room. A pressurised cyclinder inside the room went 'boom' and there was a 'swoosh' sound, and temperatures in excess of a thousand degrees came right at me. I could feel the skin melt off my fingers, off my hands.
Firefighting father Frank Forbay and his daughter Jessica at their home in Wynberg. Image courtesy of Esa Alexander/SUNDAY TIMES.
Fortunately Forbay had his full firefighting protective gear on, aside from his gloves which he had removed to complete a hose changeover.
My face is okay, I had my flashood on and my visor down.
Dr Patrick Gardner heard about Forbay’s heroism and called the show to offer the firefighter free medical treatment using laser technology. Garner says that the treatment will help regenerate the damaged tissue.
Listen to the conversation on Breakfast with Kieno Kammies: