The Western Cape Social Development says miscommunication is the reason why a 13-year-old girl did not receive immediate trauma counselling after she was gang-raped last week.
Reports emerged that the teenage girl who was gang-raped by 10 men had not received counselling since the incident was reported six days ago.
The girl was allegedly abducted at gunpoint on the evening of November 11 and taken to a shack were she was raped before being released by her attackers.
The department dispatched a social worker who made contact with the young girl today.
The department claims that Saps officials did not provide a report about the case, as per protocol.
In addition, Social Development MEC Albert Fritz's spokesperson Sihle Ngobese says that initial media reports incorrectly stated that the incident took place in Nyanga, when in fact it happened in Philippi East.
Ngobese explains that a social worker will now provide initial trauma counselling and make an assessment for the support the girl will need going forward.
He says they provide counselling services once police officers notify the department, adding that Saps officials will have to account for the error.
Saps needs to speak out and clarify what they have actually done [in the case]. Saps should account for the confusion.— Sihle Ngobese, spokesperson for Social Development MEC Albert Fritz
MEC Fritz will take the matter up with Community Saftey MEC Dan Plato to intervene and investigate senior Saps management.
Saps were not available for comment.
Take a listen to the explanation here: