It was revealed that some of the SABC 8 have been receiving threatening text messages, after giving evidence to the Parliamentary committee that's looking into the fitness of the SABC board to hold offfice.
Lukhanyo Calata, journalist and one of the SABC 8 says they all thought after speaking up in parliament on Monday everything will go back to normal and the situation will be dealt with accordingly.
To their surprise, on Tuesday afternoon they started receiving death threats. He says he immediately contacted some of his colleagues and discovered that they all received a similar text message.
A few minutes later we took a collective decision that we will not be strayed and we will not allow ourselves to be terrorised by this.— Lukhanyo Calata, journalist and one of the SABC 8
We didn't do anything wrong therefore these threats will not deter us from continuing to say what we've been saying.— Lukhanyo Calata, Journalist and one of the SABC 8
Calata says he doesn't understand why some people think they deserve to die for speaking out in the interest of the public about certain practices withing the SABC which they believe are counter democracy.
The matter has been reported to the police, says Calata.
I mean what's the worst that they could do to me? This had already happened to my father.— Lukhanyo Calata, Journalist and one of the SABC 8
Calata is the son of Fort Calata, one of the Cradock Four, murdered by apartheid police in 1985.
To hear more of what Lukhanyo Calata had to say, listen below: