Gov: Makhura wasn't informed about Life Esidimeni saga until September last year
Gauteng Premier David Makhura only became aware of the controversy surrounding the transfer of psychiatric patients Life Healthcare Esidimeni Hospital in September last year.
Provincial government spokesperson Thabo Masebe says Makhura requested information from former Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu when he became aware of the extent of the problem.
The Gauteng Premier only became aware in September when a question was answered in the legislature.Thabo Masebe, Spokesperson at Gauteng Provincial Government
Mahlangu announced her resignation on Wednesday after a damning report by the Health Ombudsman which exposed the health department’s poor handling of the deaths of 94 psychiatric patients in the province.
Masebe says nothing was brought to Makhura's attention, by the department or NGOs, prior to September.
He says government will look at the ombudsman's report and consider ways to create preventative measure in the future.
Makhura is taking steps to address the recommendation in the report, advises Masebe.
Take a listen:
Representative Christine Nxumalo says some political parties are falsely claiming that they're helping Life Esidimeni families.Read More
Gauteng legislature debates David Makhura's State of the Province Address (Sopa).Read More
DA has rejected Makhura’s claim that the decision to move the Life Esidimeni patients was not made by consulting with his office.Read More
EFF tried to force their way into Randfontein stadium where Gauteng Premier delivered his State of the Province Address.Read More