Gauteng MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi launched the online school admission system for 2018 on Tuesday. Admissions for grade 1 and grade 8 will be open to parents and guardians on the 2nd May and close on the 12th June says Lesufi.
The online admission system was heavily criticised last year and Lesufi says public officials need to be open to criticism.
If you are a public official and people criticise you and you take it personal, you won't grow.— Panyaza Lesufi, Gauteng MEC for Education
Lesufi says the Gauteng Department of Education has had to hold sessions with the public and see what they can do differently this time around. He says they have also had to submit their plans with the Premier of Gauteng and have cabinet approve the modifications of the online admissions system.
What we presented today is a plan that has gone through all legal and government process.— Panyaza Lesufi, Gauteng MEC for Education
These are changes as listed by Lesufi:
The online admission system has been increased to 50 000 people per second.
All official languages have been included and can be used to apply online
Foreign students and learners will now be able to apply using the online system
Sixty five walk-in centres have been made available for those that cannot apply online, such as schools and libraries.
Those residing in areas that are not demarcated, especially in informal settlements will now be able to use the name of the closest school as an option as opposed to providing proof of residence.
Lesufi advises parents and guardians to take advantage of the changes and to apply on time. He adds that by the end of September all learners should be placed in schools.
Lesufi says that the Gauteng Department of Education would like to use the period between October and December to make provisions of funding, extra desks, books and teachers, if needs be.
If you apply on time you'll get the school that you want.— Panyaza Lesufi, Gauteng MEC for Education