245 migrants are feared dead in wrecks in the Mediterranean Sea, United Nations officials said on Tuesday, bringing the number of estimated deaths to more than 1300 so far this year.
In one of the shipwrecks, Libyan coastguard picked up seven migrants who said they had been on an overloaded dinghy packed with 170 people, which sank on Sunday.
The bodies were found washed up on the country’s beaches.
In a similar incident on Friday, survivors were rescued by the Italian coastguard, telling authorities their boat started deflating under the weight of 130 people.
Adam Gilchrest has more on this and other stories around the world.
There is a task force in the Mediterranean and they are trying to target the traffickers rather than just pick people up off boats .— Adam Gilchrist, UK correspondent
They think that the smugglers are using flimsier boats that are therefore more dangerous.— Adam Gilchrist, UK correspondent
Click on the link below to listen to the full report...