Forecasters have predicted that this storm will be the worst to hit Cape Town in the past three decades. The storm is set to reach its peak around 11am, however there has already been damage seen around the city.
Here are some emergency numbers to keep on your phone.
Have a look at some photos of the damage...
To ensure that we all remain safe, here are some tips to deal with the storm:
- Make sure that drainage pipes and gutters are unblocked
- Make sure that storm water drains are clear
- Check for dead or damaged trees that could cause damage
- Place sandbags where necessary to protect critical areas
- Stay off the roads where possible
- Fix any potential leaks on your property
- Listen out for weather warnings issued by the South African Weather Service
KFM follower, Charmaine Haig gives us some more valuable tips:
- Make sure you have enough food supplies so don't need to go out
- Make sure you have bottled water whether from a tap or store in case flood water contaminates water supply
- Have torches and candles ready in case electricity supply goes down
- Charge all electrical equipment, such as phones and computers
- Make sure you bring in all loose items from outside
- Get warm blankets and garments ready, as well as firewood if you need it
- Make sure you have a first aid kit ready
- Try not to go outside if you can help it