The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) confirmed that its former Chief Operating Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been sacked for misconduct.
The public broadcaster says the board’s decision to dismiss Motsoeneng is binding and it accepts the disciplinary committee’s report finding him guilty of misconduct.
EWN reporter Gia Nicolaides gave details of the press conference held by the interim board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama.
She says Motsoeneng was fired for holding a four hour unauthorised press conference in April.
They had accepted the findings from the disciplinary committee and he was found guilty on both charges of misconduct, bringing the SABC into disrepute, therefore they dismissed Hlaudi Motsoeneng.— Gia Nicolaides, EWN reporter
Nicolaides says details of his period of notice were not revealed because those are confidential issues between employer and employee.
SABC interim board deputy chair Mathatha Tsedu confirmed that Motsoeneng was found guilty around the charges of the unauthorised press briefing that he held.
As that press briefing, what was happening there were efforts put together by the board and disciplinary committee to hear other issues that arose from the case and the findings of the public protector.— Mathatha Tsedu, SABC interim board deputy chair
So there were two cases but this one ran faster than the other but now that he has been fired the other one falls off automatically.— Mathatha Tsedu, SABC interim board deputy chair
Tsedu also confirmed that the TNA Breakfast show which was held by the SABC has been cancelled and the one held on Friday last week was the last.
Berning Ntlameza gone. Hlaudi Motsoeneng gone. Brian Molefe gone. Ben Ngubane gone. Is pressure finally coming to bear? Is the tide turning?— Mandy Wiener (@MandyWiener) June 13, 2017
To hear more of this report, listen below: