Three working days to clear JHB mortuary backlog

Gauteng Health MEC Gwen Ramokgopa has given health workers three working days to clear the backlog at Johannesburg mortuaries affected by the strike in the province.

State mortuaries in the province are now fully operational, after the National Health and Allied Workers Union (Nehawu) and the department reached an agreement last week.

In June, Forensic pathology assistants affiliated with union Nehawu refused to conduct post-mortems and demanding compensation similar to pathologists.

The strike has come to an end and Ramokgopa says mortuaries in Germiston and Diepkloof are less affected by the severe backlog, reports EWN's Masego Rahlaga.

The backlog is mostly in the Tshwane district and in other part of the province, expect in Johannesburg.

Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter

Take a listen to the EWN update:


Recommended

by THE NEWSROOM

CapeTalk welcomes all comments that are constructive, contribute to discussions in a meaningful manner and take stories forward.

However, we will NOT condone the following:

  • Racism (including offensive comments based on ethnicity and nationality)
  • Sexism
  • Homophobia
  • Religious intolerance
  • Cyber bullying
  • Hate speech
  • Derogatory language
  • Comments inciting violence.

We ask that your comments remain relevant to the articles they appear on and do not include general banter or conversation as this dilutes the effectiveness of the comments section.

We strive to make the CapeTalk community a safe and welcoming space for all.

CapeTalk reserves the right to: 1) remove any comments that do not follow the above guidelines; and, 2) ban users who repeatedly infringe the rules.

Should you find any comments upsetting or offensive you can also flag them and we will assess it against our guidelines.

CapeTalk is constantly reviewing its comments policy in order to create an environment conducive to constructive conversations.

Read More
Grieving Ekurhuleni mother thankful for support during mortuary ordeal

Grieving Ekurhuleni mother thankful for support during mortuary ordeal

Colleen Duister buried her child last week Friday and the family is starting to pick up the pieces after the mortuary strike saga.

Health department accepts mortuary officials' demands - health minister

Health department accepts mortuary officials' demands - health minister

Health Minister Aaron Mostoaledi says he has met with provincial MECs over a strike at government mortuaries.

Gauteng pathology crisis: 'Our members have never been on strike'- Nehawu

Gauteng pathology crisis: 'Our members have never been on strike'- Nehawu

The so called strike at government mortuaries has left families frustrated and in despair.

Nehawu says Gauteng Health to blame for mortuary strike and body pile-up

Nehawu says Gauteng Health to blame for mortuary strike and body pile-up

Nehawu spokesperson Khaya Xaba and Gauteng Health MEC Gwen Ramokgopa reflect on what lead to the industrial action. 

Can I have my baby's body so I can have a burial? - Mother pleads with mortuary

Can I have my baby's body so I can have a burial? - Mother pleads with mortuary

A grieving mom is pleading with officials to release her three-year-old child's remains so that she can have a dignified funeral.

Grieving GP families queue outside mortuaries as pathologists down tools

Grieving GP families queue outside mortuaries as pathologists down tools

The hardest hit mortuaries are in Germiston and Diepkloof, where families say they have not received any information.

Popular articles
‘Maimane, Malema will find Ramaphosa harder to deal with than easy-target Zuma’

‘Maimane, Malema will find Ramaphosa harder to deal with than easy-target Zuma’

Afternoon Drive’s Stephen Grootes interviews Senior Research Associate at the Institute for Security Studies Judith February.

Hawks video shows fugitive Ajay Gupta leaving SA

Hawks video shows fugitive Ajay Gupta leaving SA

The Hawks are in possession of video footage showing Gupta, wanted in connection with Vrede dairy farm scandal, leaving SA.

Eusebius says EFF misread the moment by walking out on President's election

Eusebius says EFF misread the moment by walking out on President's election

Eusebius Mckaiser asked callers what they thought of how opposition parties conducted themselves in yesterday's election.

LISTEN: Tannie Evita predicted Ramaphosa would be president in 1994

LISTEN: Tannie Evita predicted Ramaphosa would be president in 1994

Tannie Evita Bezuidenhout shares her thoughts on SA's new president.

Zwane, Dlamini, Muthambi and Gigaba may be axed in Ramaphosa reshuffle - journo

Zwane, Dlamini, Muthambi and Gigaba may be axed in Ramaphosa reshuffle - journo

Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to reshuffle the Cabinet as he takes over from Zuma and makes his mark the National Executive.

Hope Ramaphosa: Cyril never lifted a finger to me, he wouldn't beat a woman

Hope Ramaphosa: Cyril never lifted a finger to me, he wouldn't beat a woman

Cyril Ramaphosa's ex-wife says abuse allegations spread by EFF leader Julius Malema are an attempt to tarnish his reputation.