Lifestyle

Is marriage overrated? Listeners share differing views

21 July 2017 1:09 PM
Sex
Relationships
Marriage
couples
cohabitation
Relationship guru and sexologist Dr Eve says the notion of the 'marriage advantage' is being debunked by many couples and groups.

The understanding of marriage has evolved from what it used to be in the past.

Relationship guru and clinical sexologist Dr Eve says the notion of the 'marriage advantage' is being debunked by many couples and groups in society.

Read: For richer or poorer? How to stop money from ruining your marriage

The 'marriage advantage' is a long-believed idea that marriage improves people's quality of life and health, Dr Eve explains.

The 'marriage advantage' has been cited by many different professionals in order to maintain the institution of marriage. Research has been done to tell you how healthy marriage is for you.

Dr Eve, clinical sexologist

Dr Eve says infidelity and the rising rate of divorce are a result of staying in marriages that do not work.

50% to 55% of people getting married end up getting divorced.

Dr Eve, clinical sexologist

She says emerging research suggest that the 'marriage advantage' is not true.

Some have come to see marriage as a lifestyle choice, while others have completely rejected the institution and have opted for co-habitation.

Also read: Fathers on the realities of being stay-at-home dads

Listeners called in to share their thoughts on whether marriage is overrated. Below are some of their views:

I've been married for about 9 years now and my views on marriage have changed... I've discovered marriage is just an overrated illusion for stability.

Lerato, caller

This is just a contract. My husband and I have decided to get divorced, but not to break up. We will continue to stay to together, raise our kids and upgrade the relationship to cohabitation.

Lerato, caller

I'm 24 and currently single. The thought of marriage terrifies me because I've seen my married parents who are unhappy. I have no problem committing to one person but, for me, getting married is a trap.

Ntombi, caller

I've been married for 19 years and so far we've had fantastic relationship, we have healthy children and a very secure environment. That's what I've wanted personally from marriage.

Tracey, caller

I'm 35 and I've been married for 9 years now. I think marriage is what you make of it. We talk about responsibilities withing the framework of marriage. I don't feel it's an entrapment.

Felicity, caller

Visit Dr Eve's website for more.

Take a listen to the eye-opening discussion:

Below are some of the interesting opinions shared via Twitter:

21 July 2017 1:09 PM
Sex
Relationships
Marriage
couples
cohabitation

More from Lifestyle

Micky Mouse Walt Disney

Why 27Four is buying Clicks, AECI and Disney

12 November 2019 10:40 AM

Nadir Thokan (Co-Chief Investment Officer at 27Four) shares his stock picks of the week with Bruce Whitfield on The Money Show.

prasa-new-trainsjpg

Improved commuter experience ahead with roll-out of new trains - Metrorail

9 November 2019 1:47 PM

Western Cape regional manager Richard Walker gives an update on progress with rolling out Prasa's new 'blue' trains.

margot-molyneux-fashion-brandjpg

Cape Town fashion studio Margot Molyneux does sustainability with style

8 November 2019 4:50 PM

A fashion label in Cape Town is proving that style and sustainability don't have to be divorced from each other.

Music store

7 steps to building a business you can sell

8 November 2019 11:35 AM

Pavlo Phitidis (founder of Aurik Business Accelerator) advises on turning your business into an asset of value.

mol-youtube-screengrabjpg

[LISTEN] Parents spill the beans on son Michael Mol's childhood

7 November 2019 1:04 PM

TV personality Dr Michael Mol came home wearing one earring at the age of 16 ready for a fight but didn't get one.

primedia-broadcasting-marketing-manager-lulu-mthimkhulu-and-hero-of-the-year-2019-murendeni-mafumojpg

LeadSA ChangeMakers 2019 celebrates positive Changemakers

6 November 2019 3:55 PM

Kunisi Water founder Murendeni Mafumo was crowned Hero of the Year.

marita-van-der-vyver-cropjpg

Author Marita van der Vyver on her new book and writing about war

6 November 2019 3:32 PM

The writer is in South Africa for the launch of 'Grensgeval', translated into English as 'Borderline'.

140815jean.jpg

'All South Africans who can, must give. It’s our responsibility and privilege'

5 November 2019 12:56 PM

Bruce Whitfield interviews former Springbok captain Jean de Villiers about his attitude to money and beliefs about it.

lorna-maseko-food-chef-twitter-imagejpg

International TV cook show in the pipeline, says celeb chef Lorna Maseko

4 November 2019 3:04 PM

Chef and TV host Lorna Maseko dishes on her new cookbook, upcoming US tour and other business ventures she'll be serving the world.

santa-shoebox-projectjpg

'The love that goes into Santa Shoeboxes keeps blowing us away'

3 November 2019 4:40 PM

Lead SA: CEO Debbie Zelezniak on the project that's distributed hundreds of thousands of gift boxes to children at Christmas.