Streaming issues? Report here
Abongile Nzelenzele 2019 1500 BW
Early Breakfast with Abongile Nzelenzele
04:00 - 06:00
volume_up
volume_mute

Up Next: Breakfast with Refilwe Moloto
See full line-up
Early Breakfast with Abongile Nzelenzele
04:00 - 06:00
Home
arrow_forward
Business

Safety deposit box victims considering legal action against FNB

25 July 2017 5:54 PM
Tags:
FNB
FNB heist
safety deposit box
Heist victims are unhappy with the bank's settlement offers for their losses of valuable items, says the group's Kelly Fraser.

A group of First National Bank (FNB) clients who've been affected by safety deposit box heists say they are weighing up their options and receiving legal council.

Victims are unhappy with the bank's settlement offers for their losses of valuable items, says the group's Kelly Fraser.

Fraser explains that she represents about 200 affected victims, who have lost a combined R230 million in goods.

They lost family heirlooms, cash, coin collections and other valuables in one of three recent safety deposit box heists.

It's the banks responsibility to pay attention to detail and safety, our group alone has R230 million worth of valuables.

Kelly Fraser, representative for FNB safety deposit box heists victims

Fraser says FNB's offers are not fair for all affected victims and appear to be capped at a certain percentage.

She says the group is prepared for "the good, bad and ugly" and will consider its options to decide on the way forward.

If the settlement was goodwill, it would be fair and equal across the board.

Kelly Fraser, representative for FNB safety deposit box heists victims

Meanwhile, FNB executive Lee-Anne van Zyl says the bank is not obligated to pay compensation because of clauses in the terms and conditions which were signed by clients.

However, van Zyl says FNB has made ex gratia settlement offers ranging from 0% to 80% of the claims.

We have 44 clients who simply could not substantiate what they had in their boxes.

Lee-Anne van Zyl, CEO of FNB Points of Presence

The bank began e-mailing the heist victims on Monday.

Van Zyl says that FNB has assessed all the claims submitted by victims through prudent internal and external processes in order to calculate compensation.

No matter what we offer as a goodwill gesture, it will never be able to replace what has been lost.

Lee-Anne van Zyl, CEO of FNB Points of Presence

She maintains that both the bank and its clients were victims of a criminal act.

Three FNB employees were also suspended and others dismissed , in connection with a heist at the Park Town branch.

FNB has since discontinued the safety deposit box service.

Take a listen:

Subscribe to our Business Wrap Newsletter


25 July 2017 5:54 PM
Tags:
FNB
FNB heist
safety deposit box

More from Business

200221-winde-sopa-edjpg

Keep the bad guys locked up! – Premier Alan Winde on the State of the Province

21 February 2020 9:15 AM

Refilwe Moloto interviews Western Cape Premier Alan Winde about his Address (Sopa), delivered in Mitchells Plain on Thursday.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

small business.jpg

Wealth strategies for small businesses - income or equity?

20 February 2020 8:32 PM

Income or equity – what is the difference?

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

stock market crash.jpg

Is the US stock market heading for a crash like the DotCom bubble in 2000?

20 February 2020 7:57 PM

The US market has a big impact on all markets and when they get flu, South Africa sneezes.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Mark-Cutifani-1.jpg

Anglo American delivers 3.5-billion USD profit, declares final dividend

20 February 2020 7:18 PM

Anglo American delivered a 2019 profit attributable to equity shareholders of 3.5-billion USD

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

130903AdrianGore .jpg

Discovery Bank gives an update on the health of the new venture

20 February 2020 6:47 PM

Discovery is soothing investors' nerves after a warning earlier this week that it would report a double digits loss.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

cosatu-transport-march-Cape-Town

Hundreds of CT workers march to demand reliable public transport

20 February 2020 1:11 PM

Hundreds of people are marching through the city centre demanding that the government fix the country’s public transport system.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

anglo-american-logopng

Anglo American Platinum appoints mining veteran Natascha Viljoen as CEO

20 February 2020 12:48 PM

"Lots of mining execs will be envious. The company is in such a strong financial position," says Ed Stoddard (Thomson Reuters).

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

mielie-mailer-supermanpng

Packaging made from mielies getting online stores to go green

20 February 2020 12:43 PM

Cape-Town based company Mielie Mailer offers shipping and courier industries plastic-free, carbon-negative delivery.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

190102iqbaljpg

'Independent Media staff on Ayo's payroll' - Survé reportedly rerouting PIC cash

20 February 2020 12:26 PM

A report by AmaBhungane has uncovered how Iqbal Survé has been redirecting PIC funding to keep Independent Media afloat.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

cut-copy-paste-computer-technology-cursor-plagiarism-internet-123rf

'Cut, copy and paste' inventor Larry Tesler (74) dies

20 February 2020 11:59 AM

You may not have heard of Larry Tesler, an icon of early computing, but you use his inventions every day of your life.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward