Cosatu calls for disbanding of Central Energy Fund board

A statement released by the energy ministry on Tuesday afternoon denied that members of the Central Energy Fund board have been suspended. This, after a report that they had been asked to leave the office.

The board was appointed in December 2016 after ten million barrels of the Strategic Oil Fund was sold in secret in December 2015 while the oil price was at record low.

Also Read: '10 million barrels of oil sold off in secret is heist of the democratic era'

Sizwe Pamla, spokesperson of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu), says his organisation is disappointed to have heard the board has not been suspended.

We still demand accountability and answers. From where we stand we believe this is the lowest of the low.

Sizwe Pamla, Spokesperson of the Congress of South African Trade Unions

Looking at what CEF has done, we the workers have to pick up after their mess, says Pamla.

He says Cosatu will continue to demand action from the minister of energy, Mmamoloko Kubayi and answers from the board.

Also read: Stephen's infamous Gupta interview got a brief mention in BBC doccie

We want an investigation into what went wrong. For now, we want that board investigated.

Sizwe Pamla, Spokesperson of the Congress of South African Trade Unions

Pamla goes on to say that the most important thing right now is to disband the board. He says they are numbed by the level of corruption and mismanagement of state owned entities.

Listen here:


This article first appeared on 702 : Cosatu calls for disbanding of Central Energy Fund board


CapeTalk welcomes all comments that are constructive, contribute to discussions in a meaningful manner and take stories forward.

However, we will NOT condone the following:

  • Racism (including offensive comments based on ethnicity and nationality)
  • Sexism
  • Homophobia
  • Religious intolerance
  • Cyber bullying
  • Hate speech
  • Derogatory language
  • Comments inciting violence.

We ask that your comments remain relevant to the articles they appear on and do not include general banter or conversation as this dilutes the effectiveness of the comments section.

We strive to make the CapeTalk community a safe and welcoming space for all.

CapeTalk reserves the right to: 1) remove any comments that do not follow the above guidelines; and, 2) ban users who repeatedly infringe the rules.

Should you find any comments upsetting or offensive you can also flag them and we will assess it against our guidelines.

CapeTalk is constantly reviewing its comments policy in order to create an environment conducive to constructive conversations.

Read More
'10 million barrels of oil sold off in secret is heist of the democratic era'

'10 million barrels of oil sold off in secret is heist of the democratic era'

Journo Carol Paton says Energy Minister Kubayi wants those involved in the sale of strategic oil fund held accountable.

Energy Minister Kubayi confirms PFMA violation in fuel reserve sale

Energy Minister Kubayi confirms PFMA violation in fuel reserve sale

Kubayi spoke to 702's Karima Brown about the controversial sale of South Africa’s strategic oil stock.

New Energy Minister to probe unauthorised sale of strategic fuel stock

New Energy Minister to probe unauthorised sale of strategic fuel stock

Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi spoke about the sale of SA's strategic fuel stock without the sign off from National Treasury, and more.

Why SA no longer has strategic oil reserves

Why SA no longer has strategic oil reserves

John Maytham spoke to Business Day’s Carol Paton after new energy minister admitted selling off the country's oil reserves.

Energy minister gets the nod (for now) from DA shadow minister

Energy minister gets the nod (for now) from DA shadow minister

New Energy Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi has committed to fixing errors of her predecessor.

Popular articles
'Banned ANC delegates have shot themselves in the foot, got what they deserved'

'Banned ANC delegates have shot themselves in the foot, got what they deserved'

Deputy Editor of Financial Mail, Sikonathi Mantshantsha says branches were warned but did not listen, and he has no sympathy.

Adam Habib: Where would the money to fund free education come from?

Adam Habib: Where would the money to fund free education come from?

Vice-Chancellor of Wits University Adam Habib says Zuma's promise requires about R40 billion in order to be fulfilled.

[LISTEN] 'I never wanted to be President, I was not ambitious'

[LISTEN] 'I never wanted to be President, I was not ambitious'

Listen to what President Zuma had to say on Friday at the #ANC54 Gala Dinner ahead of the elective conference.

JUST IN: Some delegates barred from voting #ANC54

JUST IN: Some delegates barred from voting #ANC54

ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe announced that some delegates will not be able to vote in this weekend's elective conference.

Van Damme: De Lille has until Monday to respond to maladministration claims

Van Damme: De Lille has until Monday to respond to maladministration claims

The DA has suspended Patricia de Lille from party activities but Eusebius McKaiser says its statement 'is clear as mud'.

LISTEN: Father of drowned toddler speaks of dangers and heartbreak

LISTEN: Father of drowned toddler speaks of dangers and heartbreak

Connor Weber, fell unnoticed into a bin of water and drowned.

Predictably awesome new Nando's ad reminds South Africans ‘we can fix our sh$t’

Predictably awesome new Nando's ad reminds South Africans ‘we can fix our sh$t’

Watch the Guptas pack their bags and run in Nando's inspiring new advertisement.