In a statement released on Monday, Manana says he wishes to apologise unreservedly to Mandisa Duma, her family, the government of South Africa and all South Africans, and women in particular, for the incident that happened at Cubana Restaurant in Fourways over the weekend.
“Regardless of the extreme provocation, I should have exercised restraint. That shameful incident should not have happened.
"I know that my actions and those of the people in my company have disappointed and hurt many people in the country. As a leader, I should have known better and acted better. I will subject myself fully to the process of the law and give it my full cooperation.”
Manana says he further notes the fake accounts that have been opened in his personal name, showing less remorse to the victim and intended to further tarnish his name.
“I also commit myself to, when the time is right, further engage with Ms Duma and her family to apologise, take responsibility and address the harm that has occurred.
“I will also meet with my organization, the ANC, and President Jacob Zuma to give a full account of the incident.”
#MduduziManana Police department has confirmed the case has now been handed over to the NPA.— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) August 7, 2017
#MduduziManana "I wish to apologize unreservedly to Ms Mandisa Duma, her family, the government of South Africa and all South Africans."— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) August 7, 2017
#MduduziManana "As a leader, I should have known better and acted better. I will subject myself fully to the process of the law."— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) August 7, 2017
Earlier on Monday, Minister of Women in the Presidency Susan Shabangu urged that the assault case against Manana be urgently addressed.
Pictures of the injured victim have gone viral on social media.
In a telephone conversation, Duma's brother confronted Manana about the incident and he admits that he slapped the woman.
Minister Susan Shabangu says Manana's behaviour is unacceptable.
(Edited by Zinhle Nkosi)