Rhodé Marshall is a freelance culture and entertainment writer.
When the doors were opened in 1937, the Anstey’s Building in the city centre was the tallest in the country.
It was designed by Emley & Williamson, the architects responsible for some of Johannesburg’s most distinguished buildings such as Central Block at Wits.
Like most old buildings, however it gradually declined and faced demolition in 1989.
That was when the Provincial Heritage Trust stepped in and ensured that many of the original fixtures be restored. It is now a provincial heritage site. With a little bit of paint and shining of the interior, tenants (artists, journalists, corporates and some darling gogos) led by heritage architect Brian McKechnie today call it home.
The 25-stores building houses four floors of commercial space and a further 21 of sectional units.