Rhodé Marshall is a freelance culture and entertainment writer.
Those who love the wilderness-feel in a big city like Johannesburg are lucky enough to have plenty of beautiful cycle trail options in and around the city if that's your thing.
Here's a mix of great places to cycle around Joburg whether you're looking for speed, adventure or just some inner city beauty.
- Hennops Trails: A proximity of only 39 kilometers from Joburg and about 35 kilometres from Pretoria, as well as the visually charming setting, make this one of the most popular hiking destinations in Gauteng. With its 11,3-kilometre trail, highlights include a suspension bridge, an old mine, ruins and a cableway to get you across the river. If you're moving in a group there’s also a swimming pool, braai facilities and the option of hiring tubes to float down the river.
Sounds like an amazing family outing right? Tel 082 825 9205
- Vlei Park Trail: It doesn't really matter what your fitness level or skill is because there’s a trail with everyone's name on it at Vlei Park Trail. Trails were designed with the goal of being 80% achievable by 80% of riders. So if you’re part of the remaining 20% that’s looking for a true adrenalin rush, you’ll find it on the Black Trail.
It's a tough challenge that you may only tackle “at your own risk”. The forest is beautiful with an abundance of bird life. Tel 011 867 8047
- PwC Bike Park: Who would have thought, one of the most adventurous places to show off your mountain biker skills would be in old suburban Bryanston? The PwC Bike Park has awesome trail runners, corporate events, and kid's parties facilities as an added bonus too. Whether you're renting a bike or testing out your new 29er - there is something for everyone! The park comprises of 20 hectares of land with 13km of trails. It is an adventure and skills playground.
For mountain bikers, trail runners, beginners, and pros of all ages; the PwC Bike Park provides a place to learn, practice and play in a safe and secure environment. Tel 010 591 9273
- East City Cycle tours from Maboneng: There can not be a better way to discover the buzzing city up close and personal than with Main Street Walks cycle and walking tours. Ideal for lovers of art - they will take you through the City and Maboneng with the tour starting in the ultra-hip Maboneng allowing for a visit to the Williamsburg of Johannesburg.
You get to cycle along open air museums and really get to experience the fascinating history and architecture of the city. Tel 011 592 0515
- Old Parktonian Sports Club: Join one of the first professional cyclists in the country and legend, Robbie McIntosh, as he and Old Parks promises on-road and off-road rides, with a beautiful stretch of the Braamfontein Spruit running parallel to the club. There will be big organised rides, weekend rides, morning rides during the week as well as rides to do on your own or with friends at leisure.
Cycling can be both competitive and non-competitive - so decide which one is right up your alley. Tel Robbie McIntosh firstname.lastname@example.org; 082 444 9918
This article first appeared on 702 : 5 of the best cycling trails in Jozi