BEMAWU demand SABC suspend managers responsible for SABC 8 axing

The Broadcasting Electronic Media & Allied Workers Union (BEMAWU) have demanded the SABC suspend several managers they say were responsible for the firing of the SABC 8. If their demands are not met in this week, the union have threatened strike action against the public broadcaster.

BEMAWU President Hannes du Buisson says that this is one of several demands they have for the public broadcaster.

Read: Mr President, save your concern about SABC 8 - Stephen Grootes

According to du Buisson, the most urgent demand they have is the appointment of the SABC board. Having no board is a huge issue of concern for BEMAWU as it creates a huge governance issue within the SABC.

We've heard reports of the minister who is getting involved in the operational issues of the SABC. That is of course absolutely a no-no. We cannot get the minister and politicians getting involved in the public broadcaster and the day to day running thereof.

Hannes du Buisson, BEMAWU President

Following the appointment of a permanent board, the next urgent concern, the people involved in creating the protest footage ban that led to the dismissal of the SABC 8.

Du Bussion says that this ban was not enforced by one person and those involved must answer for their actions.

The protest policy is not something that could have been designed and enforced by only one person alone. There's a whole network of people that were either actively involved in enforcing the policy or passively involved.

Hannes du Buisson, BEMAWU President

Read: Could the SABC violent protest policy make matters worse?

Du Buisson said a meeting was held on Monday with the majority of news staff to gage the mood they have regarding the strike. He says that they are ready to go on strike.

We are talking about at least 100 people that is made up of mainly technical people, but also a number of fairly senior journalists. So we firmly believe that if those people go on strike, there will be absolutely no news, or very little news.

Hannes du Buisson, BEMAWU President

On Thursday the BEMAWU have a meeting with the Acting Group Chief Executive. Depending on the outcome of that meeting, the union will see if they follow the legal process and go on strike.

Listen to the full interview below:


This article first appeared on 702 : BEMAWU demand SABC suspend managers responsible for SABC 8 axing


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Public Protector lays a counter charge against State Security Minister

Public Protector lays a counter charge against State Security Minister

Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has laid a counter charge against Minister of State Security Dipuo Letsatsi-Duba

Ramaphosa set to sign proclamation on NPA directorate

Ramaphosa set to sign proclamation on NPA directorate

The president promised the establishment of a new corruption-busting unit within the National Prosecuting Authority, last month.

'Staff morale at SABC very low, no salary increases'

'Staff morale at SABC very low, no salary increases'

Bemawu president Hannes du Buisson, says ousted SABC board tried its best to stabilise the broadcaster and get it back on track.

SABC 8's claims of 'secret' meeting dismissed by Presidency

SABC 8's claims of 'secret' meeting dismissed by Presidency

In an open letter, the SABC 8, raise concern over what they say is a "takeover" of the public broadcaster.

Mr President, save your concern about SABC 8 - Stephen Grootes

Mr President, save your concern about SABC 8 - Stephen Grootes

President Jacob Zuma released a statement expressing concern that the SABC 8 thought the public broadcaster is being re captured.

Presidency says Zuma being thorough with SABC board appointments

Presidency says Zuma being thorough with SABC board appointments

Spokesperson for the Presidency Dr Bongani Ngqulunga says the appointments will be announced soon.

Popular articles
Eskom: WhatsApp message about Thursday 'blackout' is fake news

Eskom: WhatsApp message about Thursday 'blackout' is fake news

Eskom's head of generation, Andrew Etzinger, says the WhatsApp message doing the rounds about a blackout is misinformation.

What are the rules and regulations when it comes to owning a generator?

What are the rules and regulations when it comes to owning a generator?

A listener on the Afternoon Drive has shared his frustrations with a neighbor's noisy generator and the health risks it posed.

SA second most stressed nation in the world - Here's what you can do about it

SA second most stressed nation in the world - Here's what you can do about it

Health and Performance Educator and Consultant, Richard Sutton discusses methods for de-stressing.

Distraught caller describes harrowing experience on Baden Powell Drive

Distraught caller describes harrowing experience on Baden Powell Drive

A CapeTalk caller explained to Lester Kiewit how he went through flames and over rocks, and debris to escape his car being stoned.

What's next with Jacob Zuma's corruption charges trial?

What's next with Jacob Zuma's corruption charges trial?

Investigative journalist, Karyn Maughan, reflects on a year since charges against former President Jacob Zuma were reinstated.

Here's how to check your load shedding schedule in Cape Town

Here's how to check your load shedding schedule in Cape Town

Eskom has warned that more power cuts can be expected as maintenance continues over the next twelve months.