In the health feature with #WeekendBreakfast host Phemelo Motene, Neurologist Dr. John Gardenier talks about the different types of strokes and ways to treat them at an earlier stage.
There are two main types of strokes. The one is where a blood vessels become occluded, in other words the blood flow fails to reach the brain and that’s referred to an Ischaemic stroke.— Dr. John Gardenier, Neurologist At Constantiaberg Clinic
The doctor says that 80% of all strokes are Ischaemic strokes and the other 20% are Haemorrhagic strokes. A Haemorrhagic stroke occurs when the blood vessel raptures.
As we age our blood vessels become harder and more friable and are prone to rapture.— Dr. John Gardenier, Neurologist At Constantiaberg Clinic
Patients also need to understand what kind of stroke they have because the management and risk factors of the strokes are different says Dr. Gardenier.
He mentions that if you're admitted into hospital under three hours and get scanned, the candidate can improve survival significantly and initial damage is reduced.
There is a global initiative that's aimed at making the public aware of this three hour time line.
In some areas people have considered using the term ‘brain attack’ to try and compare it to a heart attack, where you have to try and expedite to make things happen quickly.— Dr. John Gardenier, Neurologist At Constantiaberg Clinic
Dr. Gardenier states that one of the main problems is that most patients will wait 30 minutes before telling someone what their problem is.
We know what you are thinking... Having a stroke is not always obvious.
There are subtle signs to lookout for like sensory loose, not being able to hold onto things, facial features going skew and a failure for information to travel from one side of the body to the other causing issues with vision.
Hear the full audio in the link below...
This article first appeared on 702 : Is there a doctor in the house? Everything you need to know about strokes