It's that time of the year again.
CapeTalk's Pippa Hudson has put together a family-friendly festive season guide for your kids, under age 12.
Below is a list of both indoor and outdoor, free and paid-for activities.
- Picnic and enjoy the fab playgrounds in Green Point Urban Park or any one of the great parks in the city
- Visit the beach
- Skate or cycle on the Sea Point Promenade
- Visit the skateboard park under the highway in Gardens (beneath the Mill Street bridge)
- Attend a free Zip Zap circus show at the Waterfront amphitheatre (14-19 Dec at 4pm-5pm)
- Take the kids to the Salvation Army band performance (7-8pm at V&A Amphitheatre on 21 Dec)
- Storytime at The Book Lounge in Roeland Street for 3-8yr olds (Saturdays at 11am)
Watch the firing of Signal Hill’s Noon Gun (Free)
The daily 12pm blast of the Noon Gun is a sound many Capetonians are accustomed to, and while this is an interesting activity for adults, it’s also very exciting for young kids who’ve likely read stories about thrilling battles featuring such old-school artillery.
View the noon firing, a few meters away from the detonation, for free and be treated to a brief talk beforehand that explains the history of one of the Mother City’s oldest traditions.
Time: Monday – Saturday: 12pm (arrive at 11:30am for the talk and build-up)
Future Now Holiday Programe (Free)
The programme is run by LifeZone Soccer International with Fontys Sportschool from the Netherlands and includes soccer, cricket, tennis, floorball and many other sports and games.
The programme runs from 4 to 15 December between 10am and 1pm daily. It's open to boys and girls ages 7 to 20. Location: The Dream pitch at Wingfield Primary at 14th Avenue Kensington.
PAID FOR ACTIVITIES:
Footfit Holiday Club by Corenerstone Sports
Event focused on football and fitness; Aimed at ages 6-13
- Date: 11 - 13 December 2017
- Time: 9am - 12:30pm each day
- Venue: Ambassadors Sports Fields, Kromboom Road, Athlone (opposite the College of Cape Town - Crawford Campus)
- Price: R300pp (includes medal, certificate and T-shirt)
- Special extras: football freestylers showing off skills
Outdoor Adventures in South Peninsula, including hiking, fishing, rock pooling & beach These run from 12 to 15 December.
- Each activity is 3 hours long,
- Cost is R80 per child per adventure
- aimed at children aged from about 6 to 12
Durbanville Football Club
tug of war, sack race, hoola hoop etc
- There are 2 sessions daily: 8am to 9am, and 9am to 10am,
- running from Thursday 7th to Friday 15th December (excl. weekends)
- Aimed at ages 6 to 12
- cost is R60 per session or R350 for all 7 days
Pony Camp in Hout Bay
The camp is run by a small occupational therapist practice that uses the movement of the horse to achieve functional outcomes for children with impairments/disabilities.
Enjoy mornings of fun, games, horse riding, arts and crafts and learning all about horses on our beautiful little farm.
- Help support an NPO with the funds raised
- 7-22 Dec and 8-12 Jan, fom 09h00-12h30
- R300 per morning
- Ages 3-12
- Call Sher on 083 260 2604 for more.
Acrobranch in Constantia
Unleash your inner lemur and go swinging through the tree tops at the Acrobranch park in Constantia. It consists of three courses, each one equipped with zip lines, swing bridges and Tarzan swings.
- “Yellow Course” is for children ages three and up
- “Green Course” is for children seven years and older
- “Blue Course” includes the other two courses and is for older acrobranchers.
- R100 to R180 depending on the course.
The Giraffe House, Stellenbosch
The Giraffe House in Stellenbosch provides an outdoor wildlife experience everything from giraffe, eland, impala, zebra, springbok, monkeys, and many bird species.
- They host educational programmes, snake encounters, a play area and bicycle track. Visitors are welcome to bring a picnic basket (please adhere to their no-alcohol policy).
- Open daily from 09:00 to 17:00.
- From R30 a child, and from R50 an adult.
- Please bring cash as there are no card facilities.
Planet Kids, Muizenberg
Planet Kids play centre in Muizenberg has jumping castles, an intergalactic ball wall, fun ramps with a space slide, an outside area with a foefie slide and dream swing, as well as various workshops and other activities.
They run special programmes during the school holidays to keep the little ones occupied.
Refreshments can be ordered from the Flying Saucer Cafe, where grown-ups can sit and enjoy a coffee while browsing through a magazine.
- You can also drop the kids off and fetch them later.
- Kids aged 2 to 13 pay R35 for the first hour or R60 for two hours.
- Children under 2 years (10 to 23 months) pay R25 for an hour.
- Adults are free.
- Cash or EFT only, no credit cards.
- Planet Kids is located at 3 Wherry Road, Muizenberg - behind False Bay train station
Bugz Family Playpark, Kraaifontein
Bugz Family Playpark is an activity-filled park with a huge outdoor playground and an impressive indoor play area suited for children from 2 to 10 years old.
There are pedal cars, jumping castles, rowing boats, swing horses, mini tractor rides, a choo choo train as well as free play areas, horse rides and magic shows.
- When tummies need filling, there’s The Bugz Tent Kitchen and Bugz Too Restaurant.
- Open from 09:00 to 17:00 every day (except Christmas Day).
- Adults R50 on weekdays and on weekends, kids R45 on weekdays and R60 on weekends (excluding rides)
Maze World at Imhoff Farm
Break a sweat, have fun, and learn about the world of wildlife conservation at the same time. Built by former game ranger and conservation enthusiast Ian Pletzer, the double-storey installation features riddles that participants need to solve to complete the maze.
Along the way, mazers also get to learn about conservation efforts in Southern African countries like Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. The maze is concluded with a fun and educational quiz.
- Opening Times: Tuesday – Sunday: 9:30am – 4:30pm
- Imhoff Farm, Kommetjie Rd
Creative Kids Holiday Program with Spades and Spoons
Stacey and Lumai are passionate about sharing a healthy life style with children. Programme will include baking Christmas cookies, making tree decorations, harvesting a veggie garden and more.
- Aimed at ages 4-8
11-15 Dec and 18-22 Dec
- Mon-Fri 9-2
- In Plumstead – private home and garden
- R600 per day or R2500 per week
Future Park at the Watershed, V&A Waterfront
Future Park will see children’s drawings come to life before their eyes as this cool and exciting exhibition space uses scanners and sensors in new and innovative ways. Children can, for example, draw and colour fish and water creatures from their extraordinary imaginations, scan them in, and watch as their swim around them in a floor-to-ceiling digital screen.
- open now – 31 January
- The Watershed, V&A Waterfront
- 9:00 – 19:00
- Price: R130 for single tickets, R460 for a family package of four, R115 for pensioners, R115 for students and under 18 months are free.
Artjamming, Cape Town
Create a masterpiece (or mess) on a blank canvas, while listening to funky music. Pick your canvas, pick an easel and get stuck in with paints and brushes.
- studios at the Cape Quarter, Cavendish Square, The Paddocks, V&A Waterfront and the Willowbridge Centre.
- From R135 a canvas
Dinos Alive Augmented Reality
This brand new exhibition that has never been seen in South Africa combines the wonder and mystery of dinosaurs with cutting-edge technology so that visitors can experience what it must have been like to walk among dinosaurs.
See the T-Rex, Velociraptor, Stegosaurus, Triceratops and the Parasaurolophus come to life on your phone or tablet screen for a dinosaur experience like never before.
Interact with Dinos, gather information using Augmented Reality, Walk among Dinos in Virtual Reality, take virtual selfies and lots more.
- Venue: Capegate Shopping Centre, Centre Court
- Dates: 06 December to 14 January (closed Christmas day)
- Time: 10:00 to 19:00
- Price: R 65 per person (under 3s go free)
- Tickets: available at Webtickets or at the door
Clay Café, Hout Bay
Get creative at the Clay Café in Hout Bay – pick your piece of pottery, get painting with your own unique design, then leave it to them to fire your piece.
- There is a garden and playground outside
- R35 studio fee, plus the price of whichever item you decide to paint, ranging from R20 to R250.
- New premises 250m down the road from where they used to be!
Transformers Animatronics: The Exhibition
It’s the first time the exhibition has been seen on the African continent, and it showcases everything to do with the popular Transformers franchise, which has included movies, TV series, comic books and toys For the first time ever on the African continent, Transformers Animatronics: The Exhibition will touch down to wow and excite fans of the globally popular movie, tv series, comic book and toy-line franchise.
- Everything from the original 1980’s toy line (Generation 1) to 12 new age animated Rescue Bots
- Over 2500sqm of floor space, recreated as the planet Cybertron. Highlight is a series of scrap metal sculptures representing the CGI Trasnformers seen in the movies - 2-9m in size
- Tickets - Sold per entry slot. You can spend as much time as you like at the exhibition, but an average visit will take about two hours.
- Open until 21 Jan 2018
- Time: 10am-7pm
- Venue: The Sun Exhibit: GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World
- Cost: R99 adults, pensioners & students R89, kids 4-17 R89, kids under 4 are free
- Book online at webtickets & Special school packages are available in all cities
- For more information visit www.transformersafrica.com and www.exporsa.co.za
Cooking with Nikki Green
Kids’ cooking classes for school going kids – make Christmas tree oreo lollies, Santa hats and boots, Snowman cupcakes and Cheese bombs!
- based in Fishhoek – must book in advanced
- R200 per class- each lasts about 3.5 hours
- Monday 18th December at 13h30
- Wednesday 20th December at 9h30
- Thursday 21st December at 9h30
- Contact Nikki 021 785 7572 or 083 548 548
Nutcracker Ballet at the Artscape
A perennial favourite for the festive season, the traditional version of this fairytale ballet brings to life the story of Clara, Fritz and their eccentric uncle, Drosselmeyer.
Featuring the dancers of the CAPE TOWN CITY BALLET, joined by a cast of Cape Town’s younger dancers.
- Ticket Cost R120 - R200
- 15-24 Dec
Shrek the Musical
Catch Shrek, Donkey and Princess Fiona at the Playhouse Theatre in Somerset West.
- on now until 9 Dec
- Tickets R120pp.at Computicket
The Frog Prince
On at the Artscape – tiny tots come and help the Prince and Princess outwit the Witch .
- Starts 9 Dec
- In the theatre foyer
Magic Shell at the Masque, Muizenberg
Traditional African folklore presented in the foyer.
- suitable for ages 4 and above
- 18 until 22 December
- R80 a ticket
Cinderella on Ice
Taking ice ballet to another level... the stuff dreams are made of comes to the Artscape in January, courtesy of the Imperial Ice Stars. Magnificent choreography and Olympic level skating.
- Starts 10 Jan
- Tickets R90 - R425
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Presented by the beloved Lilliput Players.
- At the Nassau Theatre, Groote Schuur High School
- Monday 11th December until Saturday 16th December at 10:30am.
- R75 at Computicket