It's that time of the year again.
CapeTalk's Pippa Hudson has put together a family-friendly festive season guide for your teenagers.
Below is a list of both indoor and outdoor, free and paid-for activities.
- Picnic and enjoy the fab playgrounds in Green Point Urban Park or any one of the great parks in the city
- Visit the beach
- Skate or cycle on the Sea Point Promenade
- Visit the skateboard park under the highway in Gardens (beneath the Mill Street bridge)
- Attend a free Zip Zap circus show at the Waterfront amphitheatre (14-19 Dec at 4pm-5pm)
- Take the kids to the Salvation Army band performance (7-8pm at V&A Amphitheatre on 21 Dec)
Volunteer work with ForGood
- Peninsula School Feeding Association
- Learning in Reach
- Daughters of Destiny
- Academy for adults with Autism
- Khulisa Social Solutions
- Fisantekraal Centre for Development
PAID FOR ACTIVITIES:
Sandboarding with Downhill Adventures
Downhill Adventures offer a variety of adventure sports including mountain bike excursions, quad biking, kitesurfing lessons and more. They offer sandboarding trip to the Atlantis Dune fields.
Founder and chief explorer Axel Zander won the World Sandboarding Champs in 1999 and now heads up a team of passionate professional guides
- No previous experience needed
- Transport included, plus all equipment, teacher, permits and lunch (on the full day option)
- Half day R950, full day R1100
- Trips run daily – full day from 10-5, half day from 10-2
- 021 422 0388 or email@example.com for more
Bodhi Prana Summer Holiday programme
Kundalini Yoga classes help with breath regulation, practice of calming the mind and learning to respond rather than react to situations.
- Ages 12-18 welcome
- Dec 19, 21 and 28
- January 4, 9 and 11
- 11am-12 noon
- 110 Regent Rd, Sea Point
- R80 per child per class
- Contact: Cindy Fintz 082 960 0444
Tobogganing at Cool Runnings
SA’s first tobogganing track is located on the hillside opposite the Bellville Velodrome, a 1.2-km track which sees riders achieve speeds of up to at 40km per hour.
- Open Mon to Fri 12pm to 6pm and on weekends from 9am to 6pm.
- Tickets for over 15’s are R55 for one ride, R150 for 3 rides, R270 for 6, R350 for 12
- Family packages - R450 for a total of 18 rides
- Day pass for unlimited rides – R360 per person
- 021 949 4439 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more
Gary’s Surf School
Get some surf lessons from the excellent coaches at Gary’s Surf School, which is the oldest surf school in the country.
- R280p/p for a two-hour children’s lesson
- R400p/p for a lesson and full-day equipment rental
- 34 Balmoral Building, Beach Rd, Muizenberg
- 021 788 9839 / email@example.com
There are only a few months left to enjoy the thrills of Ratanga Junction as the park is due to close by May next year. Take the opportunity to enjoy more than 30 different attractions including 23 rides.
- Full Adventurer ticket R179 per person
- Extra R65 for the Slingshot attraction
- Contact: 021 550 8504 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Why not try some indoor rock climbing at CityROCK in Observatory – suitable for anyone from the complete beginner to the more advanced climber. Enjoy the belay walls and bouldering activities or even catch an adult yoga class.
- Day pass Excluding gear - R105 per adult, R85 per kid
- Day pass Including gear – R175 per adult , R155 per child
- Contact 021 447 1326 / email@example.com
- They will be moving to Paarden Eiland in early January
Sleepy Hollow Horse Riding
Get a horse riding lesson at Sleepy Hollow Horse Riding in Noordhoek.
- R250p/p for half an hour
- There are also beach and bush rides for those over 14 at R400p/p and R284p/p respectively - must be booked in advance
- 021 789 2341 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more
Kaskazi offers guided kayak trips seven days a week and focuses on the inexperienced kayaker, so no need to worry if you or the kids have never been kayaking before.
he two-hour trips are guided by professionals who will take you on a three- to five-kilometre journey along the picturesque Atlantic coastline.
- Time: 11am-4pm (daily 2 hour trips)
- Venue: 179 Beach road, Three Anchor Bay
- Cost: R400pp
- Minimum age 6
- Booking is essential
- For more info, you can email email@example.com or call 021 439 1134
Galielo Open Air Cinema
Summer means not only outdoor music but also outdoor movies – at a range of venues from Kirstenbosch to the V&A Waterfront, Hillcrest Quarry and more. The season runs till the end of April 2018.
- Shows all start after sun goes down, usually around 8pm – gates open from 6pm
- Food trucks to buy your dinner and drinks
- Tickets range from R 79 – R 149 per person – and available from webtickets
- For more info and for the full programme of films and their outdoor venues: www.thegalileo.co.za
Showorks Entertainment – On Camera Multi-Cam Workshops
If your teen is a budding actor with a dream of being on camera, why not sign them up for two day workshop with ShoWorks Entertainment?
This Los Angeles based education entertainment and production company will be visiting Cape Town this season and has some workshops planned.
- The course focuses on technical training for TV and enables students to work on camera and behind the lens
- Happening at the Waterfront Theatre College in Granger Bay
- 13-14 Dec for the 10-17 age group
- 15-12 Dec for the 18-25 group
- R1500 for the course
- Includes everything from warm up and improvisation to multi-cam technique, terms used on set, script breakdown and reading, technical camera set-up, rehearsal and performance
- Culminates in a fun live performance using the skills and techniques learned over the two-day intensive
- For bookings contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Glowing Rooms - Galaxy Adventure
Glowing Rooms is South Africa’s very first space themed Glow in the Dark 18-hole mini golf 3D space adventure.
- The Gallery Shopping Centre, Turf Club Road, Montague Gardens
- Daily from 10am
- Tickets range from R130 to R230 per person
- For more info: Visit www.glowing rooms.co.za
Rush Indoor Trampoline Park
Rush Indoor Trampoline Park has over 1700 square meters of wall-to-wall trampoline excitement. Take a high dive into the massive foam pit with over 20,000 multi-coloured soft cubes. Play some dodgeball or basketball, do battle on the beam or just jump until your sides ache.
- Scholar jump session Mon-Sun 11h00-late
- R100 for 1 hour
- Rush socks – R30 a pair
- Extra hour R85
- Stadium on Main, Claremont
Edro Robotics classes
Robotics class run by Edro, who are dedicated to teaching kids how to code in a fun, practical environment. Computer programming is a universal language which can unlock a multitude of opportunities not just in recreation but also for careers later in life.
- Bandwidth Barn in Woodstock
- Thursday 14 December to Friday 15 December - 13h00 to 17h00
- Cost R750 per child
- Suitable for those who have just completed grades 7-10
- Duration: 2 days, 1-5pm daily
- Skill level: Beginner
Art Well Holiday Art and Yoga classes
These workshops will offer an integrated exploration of mindful movement and creative expression as means to reflect on and bring balance to the transition into a new year within a tranquil, non-judgmental studio space.
Each process will be gently guided by Yanna Romano, qualified yoga teacher and experienced art facilitator.
- No previous experience necessary
- All materials and healthy snacks provided
- Aimed at 13-16 year olds
- Dates 11, 13, 14, 15 Dec
- R900 total
- Contact Yanna to book: 0789794445 or email@example.com
- See www.theartwell.com for more information about the studio.