The National Health Department has announced the death toll from an outbreak of listeriosis has risen to 61.
This is an alarming increase from the 36 deaths which were initially recorded in early December last year, reports EWN's Kgomotso Modise.
Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi delivered an update on the disease in Pretoria and says South Africa has recorded 727 cases since the beginning of 2017.
Motsoaledi says that there were 567 cases of the outbreak in December, and now this number has risen. He adds that they cannot identify the source of the outbreak and people continue to eat which makes matters difficult.
It’s not like any other commodity where you can say there is danger here.— Aaron Motsoaledi, Health Minister
Listerosis can infect any source of food so there's a possibility that it could be found anywhere adds Motsoaledi.
Motsoaledi announced that listeriosis has been added to the national list of notifiable diseases.
This means that doctors are legally compelled to report any cases of the disease to government officials, Modise explains.
Motsoaledi says that of the 119 new cases discovered since December, only five cases have been traced.
Below is a breakdown of the reported cases:
#Listeriosis Cases Nationwide:— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) January 8, 2018
1)Gauteng: 442 Cases (61%)
2)Western Cape: 92 Cases (13%)
3) KZN : 51 Cases (7%)
Take a listen to the EWN update: