'ConCourt is essentially being blackmailed by Sassa'
The Constitutional Court has expressed it's frustration at the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) for failing to approach the court earlier to request an extension to it's contract with Cash Paymaster Services (CPA)
The agency has been accused of perpetuating unlawfulness, blackmailing the court and not taking the issue of social grants seriously.
The agency approached the court last month and requested a six-month extension, even after the court suspended the invalidity of it's current contract, extending it until the end of March 2018, to allow Sassa to appoint a new service provider.
CEO at Freedom Under Law, Nicole Fritz shares the sentiments of the court and says Sassa has succeeded at blackmailing the court.
There was an expression of anger on the part of the court, so not only the sentiments expressed by Chief Justice Mogoeng but you also had a Justice Khampepe suggesting that the court was essentially being blackmailed.Nicole Fritz, CEO at Freedom Under Law
No party can responsibly come before the court now and say don't grant this extension because no party can place the well-being of millions of South Africans in jeopardy. The extension is essentially a foregone conclusion.Nicole Fritz, CEO at Freedom Under Law
Click on the link below to listen to the full interview...
This article first appeared on 702 : 'ConCourt is essentially being blackmailed by Sassa'
Former TRC Commissioner Yasmin Sooka describes FW de Klerk's 1997 appearance before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.Read More
Sakeliga's CEO Piet Le Roux says it is opposing the EFF's ConCourt bid to declare the Riotous Assemblies Act unconstitutional.Read More
To mark 30 years since Mandela's release from prison, Pippa Green speaks to Rivonia Trialist, Andrew Mlangeni about his life.Read More
After years of Twitter storms, Helen Zille says she's decided to deactivate her 'hate-filled' public account and open a private one instead.Read More
Refilwe says there's no place for FW de Klerk's dismissiveness of the majority or any "redress" policy that erases black suffering.Read More
Nelson Mandela Foundation is committed to working with the FW De Klerk Foundation to ensure this does not happen again.Read More
There is no defending apartheid, and FW De Klerk's statement was an error in judgement, says the foundation's Dr Theuns Eloff.Read More
The FW de Klerk Foundation has withdrawn its statement saying apartheid was not a crime against humanity.Read More
A witness will reveal that money that went to Thalente Myeni’s firm ended up with the Jacob Zuma Foundation, says Ferial Haffajee.Read More
The ANC has called on the former apartheid president to retract his statement amid rising outrage and a planned march on Wednesday.Read More