Govt declares national state of disaster to deal with drought
CAPE TOWN - National government has declared a national state of disaster to deal with the country’s drought crisis.
The Inter-Ministerial Task Team on Drought and Water Scarcity made the announcement at Parliament earlier this morning.
As outlined during the 2018/2019 Budget Speech, an amount of R6 billion has been set aside to bring relief to affected communities.
Cooperative Governance Minister Zweli Mkhize says that a stringent process will be followed to allocate drought relief funds.
#DroughtCrisis The Inter-Ministerial Task Team on Drought and Water Scarcity briefing media on the declaration of the current drought as a national state of disaster under provisions of Section 27 of the Disaster Management Act 2002. KB pic.twitter.com/3YKMab3ctO— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) March 13, 2018
Mkhize says officials are dead set on insuring communities will never reach a situation where taps run dry.
He emphasizes the Day Zero phenomenon is not a concept adopted by national government.
The declaration covers a period of three months.
This article first appeared on EWN : Govt declares national state of disaster to deal with drought
Caitlin Rooskrantz became the first South African to win a gold medal this year at a recent international gymnastics competition.Read More
They say their requests for full-time intervention, management and control of the Seaforth Parking lot are being ignored.Read More
The yearly cost of training a South African to become a doctor in Cuba is more than double what it would be at a local med school.Read More
The army will remain on the Cape Flats for six more months, according to a statement released by the Presidency.Read More
The act was used to place journalist Sam Sole under surveillance while he was investigating Zuma's corruption charges in 2017.Read More
The two-months mandate of the South African Defence Force in the province comes to an end today.Read More
21-year-old Nicholas Ninow has been found guilty of raping a seven-year-old girl at a Dros restaurant in September 2018.Read More
Despite having lived in South Africa for over 15 years, world-renowned chef Luke Dale-Roberts had never eaten a gatsby before.Read More
Lesufi has been responding to the building of a new Afrikaans university in Pretoria by trade union Solidarity.Read More
Four trucks were petrol-bombed in the Western Cape amid a spate of nationwide attacks on trucks on South African roads.Read More