International Relations Minister Lindiwe Sisulu says government's intent to downgrading the South African embassy in Israel still stands.
Government, on Monday, announced its decision to withdraw its Ambassador to Israel following the killing of Palestinian protestors at the Gaza border.
58 people are reported to have been shot dead, including six children, and more than 2,700 have been injured after being fired on with live ammunition by Israeli snipers.
Sisulu joined Karima on the Karima Brown Show to discuss the resolution taken by the African National Congress' in Nasrec last year.
The resolution is very clear on what the ANC is instructing us to do as government. We have not got to the point between the ANC's subcommittee on international relations and ourselves in discussing how to take the resolution forward,— Lindiwe Sisulu, International Relations and Cooperation Minister
We recalled the ambassador to come and explain to us what is happening in Gaza. Thereafter we will take a decisive step and we will make sure that we craft it in such away that everybody has access to it.— Lindiwe Sisulu, International Relations and Cooperation Minister
On this one we are ready to differ with people who do not see the crisis in the way that we see it.— Lindiwe Sisulu, International Relations and Cooperation Minister
In a media brefing on Tuesday, Sisulu said she contacted US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about possibly delaying America's official recognition of Jerusalem as the Israeli capital.
By the time we got connected it was too late for anybody to do anything, we had been trying to get in touch with each other for the whole of last week. By yesterday they had already inaugurated the embassy. I was pleading with him to say please is there nothing we can do to stall this.— Lindiwe Sisulu, International Relations and Cooperation Minister
Click on the link below to listen to the full conversation....
This article first appeared on 702 : [LISTEN] 'ANC resolution to downgrade SA embassy in Israel stills stands'