In a full council sitting on Wednesday, the City of Cape Town approved the controversial proposal to sell, lease and develop multimillion rand property in Clifton despite condemnation from opposition parties.
According to ANC Councillor Jerimia Thuynsmam, the main concern is that there has been very little consultation with council members or Capetonians and concrete plans are lacking in the proposal.
This seems to be a very rushed approach to sell a ‘family silver’, without having real plans for the area.— Jerimia Thuynsmam, ANC Councillor
Thuynsmam added that the land is a public amenity, falling within Western Cape’s provincial heritage, and should remain open for recreational purposes.
Public access should be a priority here.— Jerimia Thuynsmam, ANC Councillor
City plans to consult with public
Ian Neilson, the City’s Executive Deputy Mayor and Mayoral Committee member for Finance, says that public consultation will begin from Friday, 6 June.
According to Neilson, the first step has been to get authority to seek out a solution for the development of property; and now that it has been granted, they will open the proposal for public comment.
We fully intend to discuss with the public exactly what the development is going to be. We've have decided to take it step by step. There will be publications in newspapers and consultations will begin with the relevant interest groups.— Ian Neilson, the City’s Executive Deputy Mayor
Inclusion of all Capetonians
Neilson says that the interest groups that have identified themselves so far are Camps Bay, Clifton and Seapoint residents. He says, however, that the City is open to input from all Capetonians.
We don’t want to exclude people from the seafront; in fact we want to increase access.— Ian Neilson, the City’s Executive Deputy Mayor
Listen to the full conversation on CapeTalk's Breakfast with Kieno Kammies: