13 child snatching incidents reported since August - WCED
The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) says 13 learner abduction incidents have been reported to officials since the 8th of August to date.
WCED ministerial spokesperson Jessica Shelver says one of the abducted leaners, Grade 3 pupil Privilege Mabvongwe, was found dead last week Thursday.
Three others were sexually assaulted.
There have also been several attempted abductions this week, including at Wingfield Primary School, Modderdam Secondary School and Bridgeville Primary School.
Shelver says the WCED is investigating additional unconfirmed reports.
The department plans to meet with police officials to determine whether there is a link in the recent spate of learner abductions.
Shelver explains that learner safety outside school premises is the mandate of Saps, who she says is underresourced.
We have 13 incidents that have been reported.Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
Three of those learners were abducted, sexually assaulted and returned.Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
One of the learners (Privilege Mabvongwe) was abducted and found dead last week.Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
It's imperative for us to know if there is a link in any way. Education MEC Debbie Schafer did request an urgent meeting.Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
Listen to the discussion on The Pippa Hudson Show:
The Western Cape Blood Service (WCBS) has appealed to each and every eligible donor to donate blood this Mandela Day.Read More
Legendary South African actress Mary Twala passed away at the age of 80.Read More
The disorientated seal that banged on the door of Pakalolo in Table View this week is being rehabilitated at the Hout Bay Seal Rescue Centre.Read More
Lieutenant Gillian Malouw is the first woman submarine officer in Africa. She opens up about her life in the navy.Read More
Cape Town-based comedian Carl Weber lost his in-laws to Covid-19 last month, just five days apart. His wife also tested positive for the virus.Read More
The SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) says Bulelani Qholani could take the City of Cape Town to the Equality Court over his violent eviction.Read More
The man who was forcibly removed from his shack while naked has denied allegations that he deliberately undressed himself to block being evicted.Read More
Grades R, 6, and 11 must return to school on Monday, while schools with enough capacity may apply to bring other grades back too.Read More
You heard it here first: CapeTalk will introduce a new daytime, weekday line-up starting from Monday, 6 July 2020.Read More