The Gauteng premier's office says it has known about the poor state of a provincial government building which caught fire on Wednesday, for years.
Three firefighters died in the blaze on the 23rd floor of the building which houses the Departments of Health, Human Settlements and Cogta.
Head of Communications at The Premier's office Thabo Masebe says an assessment was commissioned on the building last year.
We have known for quite some time, that is why we commissioned a study last year to check the level of compliance with the occupational health and safety.— Thabo Masebe, Head of Communications at The Premier's office
I agree with the unions who say we have known about this, they did raise it and we should have acted earlier.— Thabo Masebe, Head of Communications at The Premier's office
There are three departments. The other two departments had already initiated moves to leave that building because of the safety issues. We had already started acting on the concerns of safety. There were also other assessments done by the department of labour...we acted, the issue is we maybe should have said at some point nobody should come to the building.— Thabo Masebe, Head of Communications at The Premier's office
Click on the link below to hear more from Masebe....
This article first appeared on 702 : Premiers office says it knew about the safety risks at JHB building for years