[LISTEN] Dros rape: Reflecting on media law and ethics
There has been heated debate from the public and angry reaction over the manner in which South African media have covered the rape of a 7-year-old girl in Pretoria.
The child was attacked by a 20-year-old man in the bathroom of the Dros restaurant in Silverton on Saturday.
The media has come under fire for refraining from identifying the suspect and have been accused of protecting him because of his race.
In the latest development, a disturbing video has emerged showing the bloody and naked man shouting at a group of customers who had intervened, seemingly after the incident.
Director at Media Monitoring Africa, William Bird, joined Xolani Gwala on the Midday Report to discuss the footage as well as the law and the ethics that need to be abided to.
If this person had been a black man that committed the rape, the point would be exactly the same, do not identify that until there is clear evidence that we actually know who that is and that person has pleaded.William Bird, Director at Media Monitoring
What seems clear to you and I may not actually be clear in a court of law.William Bird, Director at Media Monitoring
To say, 'oh I can see it on video, therefore it must be true', certainly does not stand as a legal defense.William Bird, Director at Media Monitoring
Click on the link below to listen to hear more from Bird...
This article first appeared on 702 : [LISTEN] Dros rape: Reflecting on media law and ethics
"Our drivers are in shock. Our passengers are in shock," says Bronwen Dyke-Beyer. "It looks like it [was a coordinated attack]."Read More
Inter-provincial travel is no longer a risk and ban on alcohol sales no longer needed, say Covid-19 Ministerial Advisory chair.Read More
It's not yet confirmed when President Cyril Ramaphosa will next update South Africans on the ongoing lockdown.Read More
Premier Alan Winde says the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) field hospital will be decommissioned over the next few weeks.Read More
The Western Cape's Head of Health, Dr. Keith Cloete, says the Covid-19 recovery rate in the province has shot up due to a reduced number of new cases.Read More
The lockdown has taken down yet another iconic tourist establishment. Kieno Kammies interviews Sisa Ntshona (SA Tourism).Read More
"Eskom hopes that by September next year we’ll have broken the back of load shedding," says Eskom's Sikonathi Mantshantsha.Read More
Premier Alan Winde is streaming live on Facebook at a digital press conference.Read More
The head chef at one of SA's most internationally acclaimed fine dining establishments says their dinner service has been 'dismal' due to the alcohol ban and 10pm curfew.Read More
Constitutional law expert De Vos says Parliament has to amend the Constitution with two-thirds majority which will never happen.Read More