Officials from Prasa and the Railway Safety Regulator will meet in Cape Town on Tuesday with the Department of Transport Acting Director-General Chris Hlabisa, to discuss differences between the two entities.
This comes after #702Breakfast reported on two passenger trains colliding at Van Riebeeck train station in Kempton Park, east of Johannesburg leaving at least 320 people injured.
It has emerged that there are a lot of train vacancies within Prasa and one of the things that could have prevented that accident was if there had been a section manager to ensure that there was counter signing when manual authorisations were issued.
Speaking to Bongani Bingwa CEO of the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) Sibusiso Sithole says the security of passengers and staff members is a priority.
And we agree with the minister, and we agree with the rail regulators that all of us need to prioritise their safety.— Sibusiso Sithole, CEO of the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa)
He says that when you look at the fatalities, they are far less than reported in the media.
You are arguing that over 300 passengers were injured and our own assessment now indicate that the numbers are far less and actually all the people that were affected were released.— Sibusiso Sithole, CEO of the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa)
Acting COO at the Railway Safety Regulator Joseph Nethathe also weighs in on the conversation and says as the regulator they want zero occurrences.
Listen below to the full interview:
This article first appeared on 702 : Prasa and RSR discuss regulations and fatalities due to trains' collisions