CapeTalk logo 2017 1500 x 1500 CapeTalk logo 2017 1500 x 1500
Best of Talk

Up Next: Early Breakfast with Africa Melane
Best of Talk
Lifestyle

Blind adventurer describes putting back the pieces after losing his eyesight

11 October 2018 3:26 PM
Book
Blind
eyesight
Blind Scooter Guy
Christopher Venter

In his inspiring book, Christopher Venter writes that losing your eyesight doesn't have to mean the end of a life well-lived.

In an accessible world, a blind man can do anything that a sighted person is able to, says Christopher Venter.

Venter is a blind adventurer, writer, explorer, motivational speaker and storyteller.

He's written an inspiring book about his safari on his scooter from South Africa to Ireland to raise awareness for paediatric care.

Also read: Blind motivational speaker shares how life changed after losing her eyesight

The book, titled How I Became the Blind Scooter Guy, tells the story of his transcontinental adventure and how he later lost his eyesight after catching a virus during the trip.

Venter opened up about his struggle and journey to regain his strength and determination after losing his sight in 2014.

I've always been a little bit of a crazy guy.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

The journey was tough... I didn't want to give up. I didn't want to fail.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

I had to find a way to turn the obstacles into stepping stones.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

I never for a moment thought that it would end up costing me my sight. It was an unknown.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

I thought that my dreams of becoming a travel writer and adventurer were over.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

It's been a little over for years for me. For the first year, I was broken. I was being pushed around in a wheelchair unable to shower myself.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

For the second year I was frustrated; the third year angry, and for the fourth year I published my book. I put the pieces back together and I decide that I will not let this beat me.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

In an accessible world, a blind man can do anything that a sighted person is able to.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

Listen to the inspiring conversation on The Pippa Hudson Show:

Gerhard Erasmus is also sight impaired and works for Edit Microsystems, as an eBraille Project Manager.

Erasmus explains to Pippa Hudson how technology is assisting visually impaired people.

Listen to the discussion on assistive technology:

Thumbnail image: BlindScooterGuy on Twitter.

11 October 2018 3:26 PM
Book
Blind
eyesight
Blind Scooter Guy
Christopher Venter

Recommended

More from Lifestyle

Cape Town CBD during lockdown Step Above

Weekday traffic in Cape Town still way below pre-lockdown levels

8 July 2020 3:03 PM

Traffic volumes on the N1, N2, N7 and M5 freeways were only at about 65% of normal levels by the end of June.

black-family-house-for-sale-sold-property-household-investment-bond-rent-123rf

'Demand for property below R3 million is starting to recover'

8 July 2020 1:35 PM

For some properties – with interest rates at half-a-century lows – it’s becoming cheaper to buy than to rent.

Stellenbosch-wine-estate-farm-dutch-style-Cape-winelands

Stellenbosch awarded global stamp of approval for safety protocols

8 July 2020 10:23 AM

An international tourism body has declared that Stellenbosch's health and hygiene protocols meet global standards.

Covid-19 insurance 123rf 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle 123rfpersonalfinance

Shareholder activists grill Santam about 'business interruption insurance'

7 July 2020 6:47 PM

The lockdown did it – not the pandemic – so we can’t pay, argues Santam. Bruce Whitfield interviews Tracey Davies of Just Share.

Cars driving in foggy weather low visibility driving safety 123rf

Capetonians, 5 tips on how to drive in foggy weather...and what not to do

7 July 2020 7:39 AM

Driving in Cape Town fog is scary. Automobile Association's Layton Beard gives a great explanation of the dos and don'ts.

Aisha Pandor SweepSouth Alen Ribic

Job won’t make you rich. You must earn in your sleep - Aisha Pandor, SweepSouth

6 July 2020 8:39 PM

Bruce Whitfield talks to SweepSouth cofounder Aisha Pandor about her attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures).

Frog in a pot

Are we boiling frogs? And why do SUV drivers look so confused, asks Tom Eaton

6 July 2020 8:18 PM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews columnist Tom Eaton about his new book, "Is it me, or is it getting hot in here?"

Labrador dogs pets 123rflifestyle 123rf

It seems we've been counting dog years all wrong, say researchers

6 July 2020 10:58 AM

Research now shows that there is a different curve that applies to the life cycle of a canine compared to humans.

gillian-malouw-youtube-screengrabpng

Meet Gillian Malouw, the first woman in Africa to navigate a submarine

4 July 2020 12:48 PM

Lieutenant Gillian Malouw is the first woman submarine officer in Africa. She opens up about her life in the navy.

Family children girls outdoor cloth face masks 123rf 123rflifestyle

We only have each other – the psychology behind not wearing a mask

3 July 2020 10:56 AM

"I’m outside; I don’t need a mask. If you’re uncomfortable, stay at home." Sociologist Steven Robins tries to make sense of it.