John Maytham 2019 1500 BW
Afternoon Drive with John Maytham

Up Next: The Money Show with Bruce Whitfield
Afternoon Drive with John Maytham
Lifestyle

Blind adventurer describes putting back the pieces after losing his eyesight

11 October 2018 3:26 PM
Book
Blind
eyesight
Blind Scooter Guy
Christopher Venter
In his inspiring book, Christopher Venter writes that losing your eyesight doesn't have to mean the end of a life well-lived.

In an accessible world, a blind man can do anything that a sighted person is able to, says Christopher Venter.

Venter is a blind adventurer, writer, explorer, motivational speaker and storyteller.

He's written an inspiring book about his safari on his scooter from South Africa to Ireland to raise awareness for paediatric care.

Also read: Blind motivational speaker shares how life changed after losing her eyesight

The book, titled How I Became the Blind Scooter Guy, tells the story of his transcontinental adventure and how he later lost his eyesight after catching a virus during the trip.

Venter opened up about his struggle and journey to regain his strength and determination after losing his sight in 2014.

I've always been a little bit of a crazy guy.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

The journey was tough... I didn't want to give up. I didn't want to fail.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

I had to find a way to turn the obstacles into stepping stones.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

I never for a moment thought that it would end up costing me my sight. It was an unknown.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

I thought that my dreams of becoming a travel writer and adventurer were over.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

It's been a little over for years for me. For the first year, I was broken. I was being pushed around in a wheelchair unable to shower myself.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

For the second year I was frustrated; the third year angry, and for the fourth year I published my book. I put the pieces back together and I decide that I will not let this beat me.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

In an accessible world, a blind man can do anything that a sighted person is able to.

Christopher Venter, blind adventurer and writer

Listen to the inspiring conversation on The Pippa Hudson Show:

Gerhard Erasmus is also sight impaired and works for Edit Microsystems, as an eBraille Project Manager.

Erasmus explains to Pippa Hudson how technology is assisting visually impaired people.

Listen to the discussion on assistive technology:

Thumbnail image: BlindScooterGuy on Twitter.

11 October 2018 3:26 PM
Book
Blind
eyesight
Blind Scooter Guy
Christopher Venter

More from Lifestyle

Man woman male female bathroom toilet pee restroom

Gender-neutral bathrooms are coming! Would you use them?

22 January 2020 1:27 PM

We must do away with separate toilets for men and women, argues Bonginkosi Madikizela (DA leader in the Western Cape).

stress-black-man-papers-laptop-work-tax-fees-money-finance-woes-businessjpg123rf

Trend: Higher salary hikes at bottom (rather than top) end of companies - survey

22 January 2020 8:17 AM

The report says the average salary increase in the country over the last year was 6.2%, reports P-E Corporate Services.

rental-agreement-contract-landlord-tenant-lease-homeowners-couple-house-property

How to get rid of non-paying tenants without much of a hassle

21 January 2020 2:13 PM

Dodgy tenants who don’t pay – a perennial headache for landlords. Kieno Kammies interviews credit bureau TPN’s Michelle Dickens.

Pills pharmaceuticals medicine health

Don't make codeine a prescription drug says pharmacy association

21 January 2020 2:01 PM

ICPA agrees codeine does need to be better controlled because of potential abuse but the prescription route is not the solution.

doctorjpg

Your expensive medical aid is woefully inadequate, but cheap gap cover helps

21 January 2020 1:16 PM

Despite the huge expense, few medical aids cover members in full when they're hospitalised, leaving them with massive shortfalls.

Children river rafting adventure 123rflifestyle 123rf

Legal tips and questions to check before signing your child's indemnity form

21 January 2020 7:59 AM

Senior Associate at Webber Wentzel Justin Malherbe explains the scope of indemnity forms and what to look for in the fine print.

microsoftgif

Here's how Microsoft plans to be carbon negative by 2030

21 January 2020 7:25 AM

Software superpower Microsoft announces various plans to cut its own carbon emissions by more than half over the next 10 years.

business-deal-interview-job-office-boss-123rfjpg

Lying on your CV or LinkedIn profile could land you in jail under new NQF Act

20 January 2020 4:43 PM

Think twice before fabricating or over-stating your qualifications.

jenny-morris-instagram-imagepng

Jenny Morris says new Food Network cooking show is all about 'love on a plate'

20 January 2020 3:57 PM

In the sumptuous 10-part series, Jenny Morris creates mouthwatering meals that bring people together.

School learner pupil reading classroon 123rfeducation 123rflifestyle 123rf

By 2025, a good public school will probably cost about R50 000 per year

20 January 2020 11:52 AM

Education inflation is at about 10%, says Old Mutual. The implications are terrifying. Gerald Mwandiambira (CFP) has advice.