NSFAS to pay R30 billion in financial assistance to students in need
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) set up by government to provide financial assistance to students in covering academic costs, has faced many challenges.
NSFAS came under fire last year after Minister of Higher Education Naledi Pandor instructed the institution to halt funding for 2019 students because a backlog in disbursing aid for 2017 and 2018 had not been cleared.
NSFAS administrator, Dr Randall Carolissen began working at the institution late last year. He says it has managed to cover a lot of ground in making sure that students' funds were cleared.
We spent the first two months getting some money out to students. We wired at least R11 billion to institutions and further R4 billion directly to students' accounts.Dr Randall Carolissen, NSFAS administrator
Whilst we did that we also had to prepare for 2019... there is still a long way to go.Dr Randall Carolissen, NSFAS administrator
NSFAS was also embroiled in allegations of fraud and corruption when a R14 million was paid in a student's account without being noticed.
Carolissen says that incident has assisted it in strengthening its controls to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
We have extensive quality checks before we payout and we have to make sure that we look after the taxpayer's money.Dr Randall Carolissen, NSFAS administrator
According to Carolissen, NSFAS will be paying out R30 billion this year budgeted to support students in tertiary institutions.
To hear the rest of the conversation with Dr Randall Carolissen, listen below:
This article first appeared on 702 : NSFAS to pay R30 billion in financial assistance to students in need
Former TRC Commissioner Yasmin Sooka describes FW de Klerk's 1997 appearance before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.Read More
Sakeliga's CEO Piet Le Roux says it is opposing the EFF's ConCourt bid to declare the Riotous Assemblies Act unconstitutional.Read More
To mark 30 years since Mandela's release from prison, Pippa Green speaks to Rivonia Trialist, Andrew Mlangeni about his life.Read More
After years of Twitter storms, Helen Zille says she's decided to deactivate her 'hate-filled' public account and open a private one instead.Read More
Refilwe says there's no place for FW de Klerk's dismissiveness of the majority or any "redress" policy that erases black suffering.Read More
Nelson Mandela Foundation is committed to working with the FW De Klerk Foundation to ensure this does not happen again.Read More
There is no defending apartheid, and FW De Klerk's statement was an error in judgement, says the foundation's Dr Theuns Eloff.Read More
The FW de Klerk Foundation has withdrawn its statement saying apartheid was not a crime against humanity.Read More
A witness will reveal that money that went to Thalente Myeni’s firm ended up with the Jacob Zuma Foundation, says Ferial Haffajee.Read More
The ANC has called on the former apartheid president to retract his statement amid rising outrage and a planned march on Wednesday.Read More