Protestors demand R70 billion from Vodacom for ‘please call me' inventor
The “Please Call Me Movement” intends picketing at Vodacom World in Midrand on Thursday.
The protest is in support of former employee and “please call me” inventor Nkosana Makate.
It’s shaping up to be quite a spectacle with many such as Gauteng Basic Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi hoping to score political points.
Modise Setoaba leads the movement.
It wants Vodacom to pay Makate R70 billion - almost a third of the company’s entire market capitalisation (R218 billion).
Vodacom’s entire operating income in 2018 amounted to just over R20 billion.
Lesufi has been publicly attacking Vodacom in the past few weeks, prompting the company to threaten legal action.
Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams earlier this month told Vodacom to “shut up”.
Duncan McLeod penned an article on Wednesday in which he implores politicians to respect the courts.
Not doing so, said McLeod, will invite “chaos and disorder”.
Listen to the interview in the audio below (and scroll down for quotes from it).
Vodacom said they’re not going to open Vodacom World tomorrow…Duncan McLeod, TechCentral
My guess is that Makate has racked up some very large legal fees… no doubt the lawyers who are backing him want their pound of flesh…Duncan McLeod, TechCentral
Enjoy The Money Show, but miss it sometimes?
Get the best bits emailed to you daily, right after it ends: