Prosecutor gives evidence of suspected meddling in quashed Mdluli charges
Gauteng’s top prosecutor has described the suspiciousness with which the criminal case against former Crime Intelligence boss Richard Mdluli was dropped.
North Gauteng director of public prosecutions Sibongile Mzinyathi testified at the Mokgoro Inquiry in Centurion on Wednesday.
The inquiry is investigating Mrwebi and Nomgcobo Jiba’s fitness to hold office, reports EWN's Barry Bateman.
Mzinyathi says he was surprised at the unilateral decision by Lawrence Mrwebi to withdraw charges against Mdluli.
Mzinyathi claims Mrwebi paid him a visit soon after he was appointed as a special director in 2011.
Mrwebi told him he was considering legal representations from Mdluli.
But Mzinyathi says that a memorandum predating their conversation revealed that he had already taken a decision to withdraw the case.
What Sibongile Mzinyathi did was confirming the evidence of Glynnis Breytenbach that there was this interference in the prosecution of Mdluli by Lawrence Mrwebi.Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Even after Mdluli has left Saps, the current police administration still appear to be protecting him. They will not declassify documents which are evidentiary in this case against him.Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Listen to the EWN update:
The army will remain on the Cape Flats for six more months, according to a statement released by the Presidency.Read More
The act was used to place journalist Sam Sole under surveillance while he was investigating Zuma's corruption charges in 2017.Read More
The two-months mandate of the South African Defence Force in the province comes to an end today.Read More
21-year-old Nicholas Ninow has been found guilty of raping a seven-year-old girl at a Dros restaurant in September 2018.Read More
Despite having lived in South Africa for over 15 years, world-renowned chef Luke Dale-Roberts had never eaten a gatsby before.Read More
Lesufi has been responding to the building of a new Afrikaans university in Pretoria by trade union Solidarity.Read More
Four trucks were petrol-bombed in the Western Cape amid a spate of nationwide attacks on trucks on South African roads.Read More
Ministry of Justice and Correctional Services spokesperson Chrispin Phiri explains the parole process.Read More
President Ramaphosa has delegated Dirco Minister Naledi Pandor to lead the delegation to the United Nations in New York.Read More
If the SANDF deployment is extended on the Cape Flats, it must be done in conjunction with better policing, an analyst explains.Read More