capetalk-classicspng

Politics

[WATCH] Ramaphosa: I said I will never betray my comrades

14 February 2019 2:24 PM
Ramaphosa
Lekota
Sona reply
President Cyril Ramaphosa replies to Sona debate in Parliament on Thursday afternoon.

Several politicians used this platform for personal attacks.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

Ramaphosa says he was advised not to dignify some of the comments with a response, including what Lekota said. He says he has however decided to set the record straight.

Read: 'Lekota has two different stories about Ramaphosa 36 years apart'

This after Mosioua Lekota accused him of being a sell-out and betraying his comrades in the 1970s.

He is correct to say we were detained in some trial event in 1974. I was a student at the University of the North.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

During a march on a police station, Ramaphosa, a student leader, was arrested and taken to Pretoria.

I was in solitary confinement for a solid six months before anyone came to see me.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

Ramaphosa says he refused to become a state witness against Lekota and others.

The security police wanted Ramaphosa to turn state witness give evidence and he refused.

He says he was then taken to Silverton Police Station

The police put pressure on his father, a policeman, but he still refused.

I said I will never become a state witness and I will never betray my comrades.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

In 1976 he was released and he says his journey then led him into the trade unions.

He says innuendos being thrown around by Malema and Lekota are "dangerous".

It’s really dangerous to throw these stories about selling out your own people. They did the same to Nelson Mandela. Walter Sisulu told me that you look at the character of your leader. That will tell you. Peddling stories like this kills people.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

It was OR Tambo who warned us 'Be careful of the wedge driver'.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

Mandela was also accused of being a sell-out.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

I have never been a spy, or worked against my people. Never.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

This article first appeared on 702 : [WATCH] Ramaphosa: I said I will never betray my comrades

14 February 2019 2:24 PM
Ramaphosa
Lekota
Sona reply

More from Politics

Xenophobic attacks: SA and Nigeria will 'sort out differences as brothers'

21 September 2019 11:25 AM

Samson Omale reports from Nigeria after President Cyril Ramaphosa dispatched special envoys to a number of African countries.

Where's it going wrong for the DA? Opposition loses more votes in bi-elections

20 September 2019 5:53 PM

The official opposition lost two municipal wards to the ANC and the Freedom Front Plus in local bi-elections.

MaNtuli 'vindicated' as NPA drops Zuma poisoning case

20 September 2019 1:31 PM

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has refused to prosecute anyone for the alleged poisoning.

'We have evidence that the EFF and Julius Malema took bribes for tenders'

20 September 2019 11:08 AM

Arabile Gumede interviews Stefaans Brummer, a journalist at the amaBhungane Centre for Investigative Journalism.

Premier Alan Winde: If we can't get safety right, we can't fix any other things

20 September 2019 8:02 AM

Western Cape premier and Elsies River Community Policing Forum's Imraan Mukaddam discuss and react to plan to roll-out new cops.

DA says Eskom is keeping SA in the dark about looming load shedding

19 September 2019 1:32 PM

Is load shedding on the cards again? DA MP Natasha Mazzone has called on Eskom to be transparent about the possible blackouts.

Ramaphosa urges all parties to offer solutions to tackle gender-based violence

18 September 2019 4:16 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa addressed an urgent joint sitting on Wednesday.

ConCourt upholds ruling that president must give reasons for firing ministers

18 September 2019 3:29 PM

The High Court judgment found that the president is legally obliged to provide record and reason when firing a Cabinet member.

Tiso editor Ranjeni Munusamy on special leave after state capture claims

18 September 2019 1:50 PM

Hawk's investigator Kobus Roelofse said this revelation came while he was investigating claims of corruption at Crime Intelligence and a vehicle dealership called Atlantis Motors in Pretoria.

Real measure of success lies with the judiciary - CPF Mitchells Plain on SANDF

18 September 2019 7:58 AM

Mitchells Plain CPF chair Abie isaacs says they welcome the extension of troop deployment on the Cape Flats.