SA doctors use 3D printing in world's first ever middle ear transplant
Doctors at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Tshwane have successfully completed the world's first ever middle ear transplant, using 3D-printed middle ear bones.
Thanks to the groundbreaking surgery, a 35-year-old man will fully hear again after his ear was damaged in a road accident.
Lead surgeon, Professor Mashudu Tshifularo explains that the patient's hearing had been severely compromised because of the damage to the middle ear bones.
The man was involved in a motor vehicle accident and damaged all the bones in the middle ear.Mashudu Tshifularo, Professor at the Faculty of Health - University of Pretoria
Specialists performing transplant surgery on a patient born with underdeveloped middle ear, replacing hammer, anvil, stirrup & ossicles that make up the middle ear. 3D-printing technology is used to print these bones and is used in surgery to reconstruct the ossicles. pic.twitter.com/iyLqMedQ4O— Gauteng Health (@GautengHealth) March 13, 2019
Professor Tshifularo, from the University of Pretoria’s Faculty of Health Sciences, has spent 10 years investigating how to find the right prosthesis for this type of surgery.
He found that 3D technology was the best solution.
Two years ago, I started to see that 3D printing is the way to go. I met with some of my collaborators who agreed we can do this thing. Then the idea became real.Mashudu Tshifularo, Professor at the Faculty of Health - University of Pretoria
The middle ear bones have been printed out of titanium and Professor Tshifularo foresees that the prosthesis will become accessible to everyone who needs it.
Listen to the discussion on The Pippa Hudson Show:
Thumbnail image: Gauteng Health on Twitter.
Dr Nthabiseng Moleko says greater public awareness is needed about what is being done to combat GBV during the Covid-19 lockdown.Read More
Kensington Home for the Aged has put stringent measures in place to protect residents from Covid-19.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize says on Sunday that two more people have died, one of them in the Western Cape.Read More
Police say a video shows two young men travelling around Pretoria, bragging they do not comply with the regulations.Read More
The short film about a clumsy young dragon was co-directed by a South African and animated in Cape Town.Read More
Numsa's Vuyo Lufele reports back after the union accused the bus service of overloading and putting lives at risk.Read More
Reverend Chris Nissen says more civil society monitoring is needed to keep the volatile lockdown situation in check.Read More
FF Plus founder and former defence force chief General Constand Viljoen died on Friday at the age of 86.Read More
Post-recovery checks have been done and Wacs is back in operation.Read More
Health MEC Nomafrench Mbombo gives details of the screening schedule in identified areas and addresses security concerns.Read More