South Africans are seeing the far-reaching impact of load shedding on their lives and the outages have put home safety in sharp focus.
Load shedding is suspected to been the cause of a fire that started in a flat in Durban this week, when residents forgot there was a pot on a heated stove plate when the power went out.
Claude Smith, managing director of Impact Fire & Safety Services, says homeowners need to be prepared and covered for any possibilities.
He says it's important for residents to think about what measures can be taken to decrease the risk of electric fires.
Smith shares the following advice:
- unplug all appliances during an outage
- invest in a surge protector
- invest in these low-cost home fire safety kits for R496
- invest in a smoke alarm
Take out all plugs of all appliances.— Claude Smith, Managing director - Impact Fire and Safety Services
Listen to the discussion on The Pippa Hudson Show: