(Also read our article: How to truly enjoy a quality cup of coffee)
We spoke to David Donde, founder of Truth Coffee Roasting about how he manages to keep his business steaming hot.
I feel over the moon. It really is great to be recognised. It is such good fun and people are streaming in.— David Donde, founder of Truth Coffee Roasting
According to Donde, who also founded the Barnyard Farmstall in Tokai, no one taught him how to roast coffee; so they continue to 'break the rules' at Truth – which gives them a competitive advantage.
In addition to the company’s ongoing curiosity for coffee, Donde says that the design of the space sets the café apart from any other coffee roasters in the market.
There are few cafes in the world as stunning as Truth, a "steampunk inspired" artisan coffee shop that is filled from top to bottom with metal piping and quirky old machinery. But people don't just flock there for the decor - the coffee is all hand-roasted in a vintage cast iron drum, and the company supplies many of South Africa's top hotels.— The Telegraph
The other coffee shops around the world listed by The Telegraph are:
2. Coffee Academics, Hong Kong.
3. Barista Parlor, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
4. La Cafeotheque, Paris, France.
5. Cafe Central, Austria, Vienna.
6. Johan & Nyström, Stockholm, Sweden.
7. Department of Caffeine, Singapore.
8. Single Origin Roasters, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
9. Sant'Eustachio Il Caffè, Rome, Italy.
10. Workshop Coffee, London.
11. Double Tall, Tokyo, Japan.
12. Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Portland, US.
13. Fazil Bey, Istanbul, Turkey.
See the full article on the Telegraph website.
This article first appeared on 702 : Cape Town's Truth Coffee Roasting dubbed best coffee shop in the world