Two Metrorail trains caught fire on Easter Sunday just before 4pm at the Cape Town Railway Station destroying ten carriages and two motor coaches amounting to R36 million.
After a lengthy spate of arson attacks beginning in October 2015, there had been no incidents for six months.
CCTV footage of the suspects has led to the arrest of a 30-year-old man from Khayelitsha.
He is expected to appear in court once charged with malicious damage to property.
Regional head of Metrorail, Richard Walker, discusses how this will affect commuters and business this week with CapeTalk's Kieno Kammies.
It is very disheartening. Things had been looking up recovering from 40 sets to 57 train sets last week moving towards the target of 60.— Richard Walker, Regional head - Metrorail
It's very alarming because you think, is this the start of us being under another few months of us being under attack and losing more carriages?— Richard Walker, Regional head - Metrorail
We take comfort from the quick thinking of our security teams and Saps.— Richard Walker, Regional head - Metrorail
The CCTV footage showed a few suspects and that is part of an ongoing police investigation.
One returned to the scene of the crime and that is where he was spotted and taken into custody.— Richard Walker, Regional head - Metrorail
He says Metrorail is two train sets down on Tuesday morning and leads to cancellation of certain services.
There will be changes announced via Metrorail social media platforms, he says.
Listen to the interview below: