Magashule refuses to answer questions surrounding alleged phone tapping
African National Congress (ANC) secretary-general Ace Magashule has refused to answer questions surrounding allegations that his phone was tapped.
Magashule continued his campaign in KwaZulu-Natal on Friday with former president Jacob Zuma by his side.
Zuma, who was meant to join the campaign trail on Thursday, made an appearance in Lamontville, Durban, where he and Magashule addressed a small crowd of ANC supporters after handing over a house to 70-year-old struggle veteran Amos Ndalwane.
Referring to the alleged tapping of his phone, Eyewitness News reporter Nthakoana Ngatane says the secretary-general blamed the media for supposedly bringing about negative perceptions about the ANC.
Without even being asked... he said to the crowd that he understands that people want to focus on the issue. He has said that he has reported it to the inspector-general and that is where he is going to leave it.Nthakoana Ngatane, Reporter - EWN
Meanwhile, the past week has seen Ethekwini municipal workers shut down essential services in protest to demand higher salaries after former struggle veterans were allegedly promoted.
Ngatane says the issue may come up at a community meeting set to take place after the door-to-door campaign.
The issue of veterans is part of what the workers at the municipality are complaining about; so, another irony there. How do we ensure that veterans are taken care of without marginalising other people?Nthakoana Ngatane, Reporter - EWN
This is an issue I believe as we go into the door-to-door and that community meeting will probably come up because we were not able to engage the president beyond a very short interview after he handed over the house.Nthakoana Ngatane, Reporter - EWN
Click on the link below to hear the full report...
This article first appeared on 702 : Magashule refuses to answer questions surrounding alleged phone tapping
The FW de Klerk Foundation has withdrawn its statement saying apartheid was not a crime against humanity.Read More
A witness will reveal that money that went to Thalente Myeni’s firm ended up with the Jacob Zuma Foundation, says Ferial Haffajee.Read More
The ANC has called on the former apartheid president to retract his statement amid rising outrage and a planned march on Wednesday.Read More
Eskom's chief operating officer Jan Oberholzer is adamant that Cabinet members have no say about if and when load shedding happens.Read More
“It’s a human rights violation. We've been persecuted under a law without evidence,” says Myrtle Clarke (Dagga Couple).Read More
Advocate Dali Mpofu plans to launch a non-partisan campaign to have the former apartheid president stripped of his Nobel Peace Prize.Read More
Interim DA leader John Steenhuisen acknowledges the party had a really bad year last year and believes he can help fix it.Read More
Busisiwe Mkhwebane wants to be involved in drafting narrowed terms of reference for the Zondo Commission, files application.Read More
The EFF responds to FW de Klerk Foundation statement after demanding the former president's removal from Parliament during Sona.Read More
EWN reporter Babalo Ndenze says the president had a very sombre tone and the disappointment in his voice was evident.Read More